Trailering Capacity

xlman

I will be towing a 30' travel trailer with my SS - - but I have seen maximum towing capacities ranging from 7300 lbs to 10,500 lbs on various websites. This is NOT a standard 1/2 Ton - with its larger engine and some of its suspension qualities, I would think it would safely tow more than the 7500 lbs quoted for standard K10 extendeds. Has anyone seen something OFFICIAL ? ? ? I have e-mailed to GM looking for an answer - but nothing so far. Any help would be appreciated. My Black Beauty is due before the end of the month, and I'm getting a little nervous about towing with it. Thanks for any help -

I will be towing a 30' travel trailer with my SS - - but I have seen maximum towing capacities ranging from 7300 lbs to 10,500 lbs on various websites. This is NOT a standard 1/2 Ton - with its larger engine and some of its suspension qualities, I would think it would safely tow more than the 7500 lbs quoted for standard K10 extendeds. Has anyone seen something OFFICIAL ? ? ? I have e-mailed to GM looking for an answer - but nothing so far. Any help would be appreciated. My Black Beauty is due before the end of the month, and I'm getting a little nervous about towing with it. Thanks for any help -

SS is rated at 7500 lbs. towing capacity, I believe this is a reliable number from Chevrolet and in the specs for the SS :thumbs:

Here are the SS Specifications :cheers:

Chevrolet Silverado SS

OVERVIEW

Model: Chevrolet Silverado SS

Trim level: LT

Body style / driveline: Extended Cab / AWD

Manufacturing location: Oshawa Ontario, Canada

ENGINE AWD

Vortec H.O. 6000V8

Type: 6.0-liter OHV V8 with cast-iron block

Displacement (cu in / cc): 364 / 5967

Bore x stroke (in/mm): 4 x 3.62 / 101.6 x 92

Cylinder head material: Cast aluminum

Valvetrain: Overhead valve with two valves per cylinder

Ignition system: Coil near plug, platinum-tipped spark plugs, low resistance spark plug wires

Fuel delivery: sequential central-port fuel injection

Compression ratio: 10.0:1

Horsepower (hp / kw @ rpm): 345 / 257 @ 5200

Torque (lb-ft Nm @ rpm): 380 / 516 @ 4000

Recommended fuel: 91 octane minimum, premium fuel only

Maximum engine speed: 5600

Estimated fuel economy

(mpg city / hwy / combined): 12 / 16 / 13

TRANSMISSION AWD

4L65-E

Type: Four-speed heavy-duty Electronic automatic

Gear ratios (:1):

First:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

Reverse:

Final drive ratio: 4.10:1

CHASSIS / SUSPENSION

Front: Independent with computer selected torsion bars, 32mm stabilizer bar, gas-pressurized monotube shocks

Rear: Solid axle with semi-elliptic, variable-rate, two-stage multileaf springs, gas-pressurized monotube shocks

Traction Control System: All-speed traction control

Steering type: Power recirculating ball

Ratio: 14.0:1

Steering wheel turns,

Lock-to-lock:

BRAKES

Type: (All) vacuum booster, power, four-wheel disc, four-wheel ABS, DRP

Rotor diameter x thickness

(mm x mm): front: 304.7 x 29; rear: 325 x 20

WHEELS / TIRES

Wheel size & type: 20 x 8.5-inch five-spoke polished aluminum

Tire size & type: P275/55R-20 Goodyear Eagle radials

DIMENSIONS

Exterior Short Box

Extended Cab

Wheelbase (in / mm): 143.5 / 3644

Overall length (in / mm): 227.6 / 5781

Overall width (in / mm):

Mirrors folded

81.5 / 2070

Mirrors extended

93.1 / 2363

Overall height (in / mm): 72.2 / 1834

Track (in / mm):

Front:

65.0 / 1651

Rear:

66.0 / 1676

Ground to top of load floor

(in / mm): 30.7 / 780

Step-in height:

Front door:

21.2 / 538

Access door:

21.5 / 546

Approach angle: 28.8 degrees

Breakover angle: 20.5 degrees

Departure angle @ step bumper: 25.8 degrees

Base curb weight (lbs): 5298

Interior Front Rear

Head room (in / mm): 41.0 / 1041 38.4 / 975

Leg room (in / mm): 41.3 / 1049 33.7 / 856

Shoulder room (in / mm): 65.2 / 1656 66.3 / 1684

Hip room (in / mm): 61.4 / 1560 61.5 / 1562

Cargo Box

Cargo volume (cu ft / liters): 56.9 / 1611.2

Length at floor (in / mm): 78.7 / 1998

Width at floor (in / mm): 60.2 / 1529

Width at top (in / mm): 61.9 / 1572

Width between wheelhousing

(in / mm): 50.0 / 1270

Tailgate width (in / mm): 60.0 / 1539

Inside height (in / mm): 19.5 / 495

Capacities

GVWR (lbs / kg): 6400 / 2903

Payload (lbs / kg): 1490 / 676

Trailer towing (lbs / kg): 7500 / 3405

Fuel tank (gal / liters): 26 / 98.4

Engine oil (qts / liters): 6 / 5.6

Cooling system (qts / liters): 14.8 / 14.0

the tow capacity is that partially due to the awd and to the 20 inch wheel combo. there would be absolutely no reason to pull 7500lbs or more with an ss. if you needed to pull anything near that weight, a 2500 series is what you needed, not a 1500.

the tow capacity is that partially due to the awd and to the 20 inch wheel combo. there would be absolutely no reason to pull 7500lbs or more with an ss. if you needed to pull anything near that weight, a 2500 series is what you needed, not a 1500.

I agree with zip :thumbs:

Thanks for the replies ................ I've been on websites for MONTHS looking for more SPECIFIC details concerning the SS model. I believe they have yet to be posted - and may never be, because of the intended "limited" production for this model. The specs that are posted are pretty much identical to the ones for standard K10's. Between 1970 an 1990, my company leased THOUSANDS of vehicles to customers across the country - 50% of them were trucks. My guys and I became quite expert at working with truck specs - especially for commercial use. GM has ALWAYS been "conservative" with their numbers - and for pretty good reasons. I have been communicating directly with people at GM Marketing, and am trying to wedge my way in to the "technical" guys. (By the way . . . . . the "official" response from the Marketing people is only 7400 lbs - go figure that!). I will send out a new post if I can get some authentic feedback from the manufacturers. In fact, I am meeting with several higher-ups from the Fleet department of GM, in Detroit, next month. I'll ask for their help if nothing comes down the pike before then. I have towed my 7500 lb trailer for 10 years - and am looking at a newer one - - - - that's why my interest in towing specifics. Thanks again, my friends - I'll let you know what else I come across!

One more post to my prior posts - - - - I spent a considerable amount of time on the telephone with people at GM and Chevrolet, discussing this issue. They were very understanding, and dug into my inquiry. In the end things got a little worse (?). I am pretty convinced that they found the answers - and here they are:

The SS has LESS towing capacity than a standard K10 4X4 with a 5300 Vortec and 4.10 r.a. That (standard) 1/2T extended cab posts a max trailer weight of 8,800 pounds. The SS model is apparently handicapped by its suspension, tires, and wheel capacities. The SS is rated to pull no more than 7,400 lbs - and that is with a weight-distributing hitch (5,000 lbs w/dead weight hitch). The maximum tongue load (with a weight distributing hitch) is: 740 lbs.

The people who helped me were great, but they have access to information on their "intranet" that is NOT available to the public - that's why we cannot find this information ourselves. I still would like to see more tech-specs posted by Chevrolet engineering .

BE VERY CAREFUL ACCEPTING THE INFORMATION OFFERED BY MANY DEALERS ON THE WEB - SOME OF THEM ARE POSTING A 10,000 LB TOWING CAPACITY FOR THE SS !

all the info you just for the most part is in the trailering specs on the website and in the brochure with the exception of ss only specs and they are as i recall in the autobook available to all gm dealers.... i thought the towing reasons should be painfully obvious. it's just like the lightning. the drivetrain in the lightning has more than enough durability to tow alot, but suspension and tire reasons keep it from doing so. you don't buy a super sport as your trailer towing vehicle plain and simple.

Gee Zippy - - - you have all the answers - - and give free lectures, too !

"Painfully obvious" to you .............. ? Perhaps we each have our own ideas of how to use our toys.

The info I posted is NOT available on the GM website (specific to the SS) - - nor is this published in some kind of "dealer autobook" as you refer to it. The readers of this site know more about the SS than 99.9% of the Chevy dealers out there.

Sorry if we riled you up ! :nono:

your dealer may not have been able to find that info, but i've had all this info for quite a while. as for specific to the ss, most of the usual half ton info applies with the exception of the tow rating which isn't listed in that chart. in a few minutes of searching online i found more than a few websites including this one and chevrolet.com listing it's trailering capacity along with the chevrolet site listing the trailering capacity and how much tongue load is allowed. i can't believe that aside from the info at the dealer you couldn't find it even on the chevrolet web site. that's embarrassing to you, not me. i'm sure i can even get around to scanning the multiples of info the dealer has on it.

The only difference would be in the tires and wheels, if you get a set of different wheels and/or tires (whatever is holding back on the load capacity) then you could tow the factory rating for a 4x4 ECSB truck. They use the same rear springs, so the suspension is not the problem

Zippy - what's embarrassing is the fact that you didn't insert the hyperlink to these terrific SS spec-sheet websites that you've found, so that the rest of us could benefit from them also.

We're waiting ........................

:pop:

The only difference would be in the tires and wheels, if you get a set of different wheels and/or tires (whatever is holding back on the load capacity) then you could tow the factory rating for a 4x4 ECSB truck. They use the same rear springs, so the suspension is not the problem

Hmmmm, when I have said similar things about my Lightnings towing ability on some sites (not this one), I have been ridiculed about the fact that my L is not really a truck......... just a Mustang with a bed.

Some people cannot get over the fact that with different wheels and tires (we use Expedition 16" wheels and tires to tow), and a weight distribution hitch (to overcome the lowering of the truck), along with a trailer brake controller........... that we have as much trailer towing capacity as any other 3.73 geared 5.4 engined 1/2 ton 2wd standard cab Ford truck.

I get so annoyed when people tell me that my truck can't tow anything....... or haul anything. I guess they need to tell that to all of the heavy vehicles we have towed over long distances (you know, so they don't suffer from dillusions or something)........ or all the steel / washers and dryers / and all other forms of in the bed truck stuff that we have hauled. :rolleyes:

GRRRRRRR

End rant. :D

why would i post that stuff, if it was that easy for me to find you can find it too. hell, as far as i've seen your the first to question whether or not you can tow more than it's rated for.

Hmmmm, when I have said similar things about my Lightnings towing ability on some sites (not this one), I have been ridiculed about the fact that my L is not really a truck......... just a Mustang with a bed.

Some people cannot get over the fact that with different wheels and tires (we use Expedition 16" wheels and tires to tow), and a weight distribution hitch (to overcome the lowering of the truck), along with a trailer brake controller........... that we have as much trailer towing capacity as any other 3.73 geared 5.4 engined 1/2 ton 2wd standard cab Ford truck.

I get so annoyed when people tell me that my truck can't tow anything....... or haul anything. I guess they need to tell that to all of the heavy vehicles we have towed over long distances (you know, so they don't suffer from dillusions or something)........ or all the steel / washers and dryers / and all other forms of in the bed truck stuff that we have hauled. :rolleyes:

GRRRRRRR

End rant. :D

dont lightnings have different rear springs than the regular F-150???

Archived