-which is worth more??-

matslp488

Every now and then I check the net for SS trucks for sale and I also see a lot of clones for sale... it surprises me that most clones I see for sale guys will ask as much or even more for than a real SS...Im not bashing clones I actually would like to own a clone also, but I just wonder why someone will pay the same or more for one than the real deal... are clones worth that much?? I dont see myself paying a lot for fake Gucci while I can get real Gucci... any opinions on why this happens??just wondering....

I think most ask more because they have time into it, and add that into the price of the truck, if you make it an exact clone you have plus the extra cost of SS cladding, recarpet, seats, dash cluster, SS dash badge, 6.0 motor, SS wheels, outside badging, rear spoiler. Bumper covers, grille, etc. And probably the cost of paint. And I see alot of SS going between 8K and 12K.

Also I think alot of guys that are cloning, already have the truck so they start piecing it together, not spending all there money at one time. and add hunting parts time and most have shipping cost for the parts and add that to the price of the truck, I don't see to many that are complete clones, there usually half way done or just the cladding and bumper covers and grille.

Ask me how I know, on my shortbox clone I have about $2000 in shipping of parts purchased, new carpet, $400, headliner, $600, Cluster, $400, new grille $350, new ducts and lower grille, $325, new electric fan and radiator and parts and tune, $600, SS steering wheel with new LEDs control buttons $400, LED all other lighting $120, new headlights $200, replaced rack and pinion steering, $400, new ball joints $125, fixed exhaust, $125, and new tires $800, SS mirrors $100. And that just off the top of my head, i was able to recoup a couple of thousand for resale on my parts I replace with newer and extra parts left over.

My opinion, It doesnt matter how much time you have into something, or how much you spend on it to make it a fake and ask the same price or more. I had over $30,000 in my Camaro SS without the $32,000 I bought it for new. I couldnt sell that car for what I had into it and my time building it. I would be able to get 40 grand for it. There are alot of people who will spend the money since it looks real and can pass it off as one, to buy it. These days you can list a rock on ebay and sell it for $50 when it came from your backyard.

People can ask what they want but at the end of the day everyone knows you dont typically get out what you put into a project. If you can find a fool to pay your money then good for you. From what I have seen clones are typically regular cabs and a real SSS was an extended cab so more like apples and oranges. Also most clones are just a body kit with little mods to drive train etc. some goto the extra length to build a drivetrain with extra performance but that isnt the norm.....

If it is an extended cab clone I can understand the whole "why buy a fake one" thing. It seems like 90% of the clones I see are regular cabs though which was never a factory option. I have been working on a regular cab clone forever now, it has been a fun project and it's getting a motor built for it this summer so it goes as fast as it looks :devil:. Lol.

Edited by Thing1 (see edit history)

​

If it is an extended cab clone I can understand the whole "why buy a fake one" thing. It seems like 90% of the clones I see are regular cabs though which was never a factory option. I have been working on a regular cab clone forever now, it has been a fun project and it's getting a motor built for it this summer so it goes as fast as it looks :devil:. Lol.

Some people say allegedly that GM did in fact make some single cabs SS in the first year but I think that is just a rumor floating around more than an actual fact..

I know some people do go over the edge and actually drop in a 6.0 and even stock SS wheels and interior but 98% of the clones out there are mostly 4.8s even v6s with a fiberglass cladding not even the original one and people still ask premium prices for those trucks...still IMHO, I dont get why someone will pay more for the clone than the real SS....SSS clones gotta be the best priced outta all the other clones like older SS el camino or even older Chevelles or camaros that are SS clones...

I think only one single cab SS was made with an LS6. Yes if i looked at a clone SS to buy, I I would start taking money of the price when they don't have oem cladding, SS interior, heated and power seat control on the door panels, proper dash, and a 6.0 motor.

â

Some people say allegedly that GM did in fact make some single cabs SS in the first year but I think that is just a rumor floating around more than an actual fact..

None were made..... only one regular cab was built for SEMA.