Chucked A/C belt

someotherguy

A/C was cooling great and no funny noises until this morning. Had a noise tough to describe, then a thunk as the A/C belt popped off. It didn't break, just came off.

I'm thinking the tensioner may have crapped out, but I won't have any time to check it until maybe Tuesday; working anywhere from 12 to 14 hour shifts right now.

Are the tensioners a sore spot? Seems like I recall reading something about them a while back but can't remember if it was all LS's, or just LS1's (used to have one swapped into a 'burb so I had done some reading), etc.

06SS_091s.jpg

Thanks,

Richard

The stretch belt sounds like a great idea. First time I've heard of this fix. Looks like you need a tool to install? (Tool is $23.00. Not too bad).

Gates, on their site, says feel free to contact them for help figuring out which belt you need. (Their current application chart doesn't say just which belt you need for the A/C. They also say that they are working on getting a better app page going).

I just looked up the belt for a 2010 2500hd with the 6.0; compared to the belt for my truck it's a little bit shorter which makes sense without the tensioner. Hope it's the right one...Gates K040355SF

Edit - more details:

2006 Silverado SS 6.0 A/C belt = Gates K040378 978mm / 38.5"

2010 Silvy 2500HD 6.0 A/C belt = Gates K040355SF 916mm / 36"

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

Belt and tool came in today (a day late, got $7.98 refund for one-day shipping from Amazon) pretty easy install. The tool doesn't work, flat out. Either I'm a dummy, or there's a difference in crank pulley between my 2006 and the 2010-up trucks. The tool sits over the pulley lip like it should but can't get the bolt installed to hold it; just hits the edge of the pulley flange or the front cover. So I did the zip tie trick and just tied the belt to the crank pulley, guided it around the A/C pulley, then turned the crank bolt until the belt routed on.

06SS_092s.jpg

Anybody have insight on why that tool didn't fit? If I don't need it I'm gonna get rid of it but it would have been nice if it worked.

06SS_093s.jpg

Richard