Oil cooler line replacement - coulda been easier...

Did the oil cooler lines on my 06 Intimidator today. Only took 2 hours taking my time, coulda been easier, except for that harness bundle that runs across the front of the oil pan. Made snaking the lines around a real pain in the ass. Spilled oil all over the front of my jeans, the floor, etc. everywhere except wherever I tried to get the drain pan under it.

I've seen the nice custom jobs in here from quite a while back where some members welded up AN fittings to the factory tubing to get rid of the problematic crimps, and running braided line. Cool idea and I may investigate it for future replacements; maybe I should go dig my old lines out of the trash for that project...an added benefit with those is the ability to take the lines apart instead of having to pull them out as a complete unit.

I'm guessing this job is even less fun on an AWD due to other stuff in your way.

Got the lines genuine AC Delco # 15809049 from RockAuto for $86...$97 with shipping.

Richard

I did my oil cooler lines years ago on my AWD SS and I couldnt get them due to the bends and work space. I had to cut them. Then trying to get them back in was almost impossible, trying to not bend the hard line was not easy. Took me about 4 hours to figure a way to turn and twist and get everything lined up.

Yeah the reason I didn't cut the old ones was because I wanted to prove to myself that the route I chose would work to get the new ones in. Folding them at the rubber portion so that you can shove that bend towards the passenger side, so you can take the end that mounts above the filter and fish it through that gap where the harness crosses the front of the oil pan...it's a little bit of a battle, but it can be done.

My suggestion is wrap the metal ends (the tube ends AND the part that attaches to the engine block) in several layers of masking tape. You don't want to scratch them up, but also don't want them to do any damage as they're flopping around while you battle to route the lines.

Also, before removing the tubes from the radiator, unbolt the lines from the side of the block, then remove the end above the oil filter first and let it drain a nice long time into a pan. You'll still end up making a mess when you pop the tubes loose from the radiator, but there will be less oil for it to pour everywhere.

Richard