Odd turn signal issue

So, I've recently gotten my SSS, I've been going through things with it to get it back up to snuff. I've ordered suspension parts to get it riding better and a bit taller, as it is slammed. Anyways, I'm at the point of trying to figure out why my turn signals cause my other tail lights(and 3rd brake light) to surge. A side note, the gauge cluster needs to be repaired as well. It will cut in and out intermittently as I hit bumps and just drive it around. The speedo will stop working, sometimes you can hear it clicking, the gas, battery, oil, and fuel gauges will all shut off and come back on. I'm assuming it's the common issue of the stepper motors and bad solder. So, when I have my driving lights my LEDs in my mirrors will come on, off and on I should say. Some times very bright, some times very dim. They also will show "on" on my cluster. If the mirror LEDs are dim, the arrows in the cluster will be dim, and the same for when the LEDs are bright, so are the arrows. I've replaced my tail light junction box and my tail lights. The tail lights came with all new wiring and bulbs, so I used them. (Eagle Eye tails) My head lights had LED dims(the only LED bulbs I can find on the truck), so i bought some cheap Sylvania bulbs to see if it was because of that. Still, no fix. I also replaced the battery as it has a bad cell. I'm at a loss of what to try next. I'm not sure if it's because of my cluster, a bad ground somewhere or if it's the body control module. I have a video of it up on YouTube and I am linking. https://youtu.be/vD5H5LjMExY

Also, in the video you can see the 2 left turn signal bulbs alternating. I feel this may be incorrect, but I honestly don't know. It could be from the surging or it could be that way from the factory. I don't remember my old 04 LT doing this.

Without doubt you have ground issues on your truck. From the behavior with the turn signal/tag lights, to your description of the whole cluster bombing out then coming back. That's not stepper motor issues.

If I was more versed with all the ground locations on a GMT800 I'd start listing them for you to chase but I'm not anywhere near that level of familiarity with these trucks yet, but I would be willing to put money on bad grounds.

Richard

I'm definitely not versed, but I feel I'm about to be. Haha. Any help is greatly appreciated. I had a feeling as well that it was a ground. I still wonder if the stepper for at least my speedo is bad. I can hear it clicking and see it ticking when it's not wanting to work.

It's possible you've got some bad steppers, it happens (and recently happened to me - while connecting a new battery, my fuel gauge stepper croaked) - but if the whole cluster is falling out then coming back, it's losing power or ground. Considering the behavior of your lights, I'll say ground issues are effecting multiple circuits on your truck. Time to track 'em down.

Richard

I agree with you there Richard. What's weird is, the computer never shuts off on the cluster. Just all of the mechanical gauges. I'm hoping to get some decent weather up here in order to start looking for loose or bad grounds. I'll have to find a wiring diagram for this.

• 2 weeks later...

So, since I bought a dual post battery, I went to an auto parts store and picked up top post positive and negative cables. I ran the positive straight to the alternator. I then ran the negative to the "ground" by the alternator on the block. I then ran an other from the same area, different bolt, to the frame. The spot on the frame looks like it may be the mount for the arm that holds the driver side fog light, if I had fogs that is. I cleaned this area when a wire wheel on my drill as it had a lot of road grime on it. So far, I no longer have the turn signal surging that I had, I even tested it before I did all of this work. My stereo no longer buzzes/hisses, all seems well. I will take it for a drive later to see if bumps in the road cause it to have the previous issues. I am also hoping this fixes my dash problems. If so, then I get my cruise control back and I don't have to worry about weird signal problems anymore.