Help?

So Im dealing with a bit of a dilemma, I went to go play billiards tonight, parked my SS on the street and I came out to the surprise that the car behind me hit the rear bumper and bent it in lnward on the right side! ? some paint chips came off but the bumper is bent in a lot anything and it has a dent anything I can do to fix it? I wonder what route the insurance is gonna take when I report it to them?

Same thing happened to me about a year ago.. I just bought a regular 99-07 Silverado rear bumper and repainted my bumper cover and threw it back on there again.. looks good till now.. insurance paid me $2200 if I remember right I did all the work by myself..

That ^^^ the bumper is exactly that, just a regular truck bumper. You can go black or chrome it really doesn't matter as you won't see it at all, but the black bumper is cheaper. Couple hundred bucks and some easy labor. Just be careful on the license plate lamp bezels...easy to break.

Richard

Exactly..... I even went cheap and fast on mine.. found a gray one off a work truck model on CL for $60... paid another $250 for paint on the cover, straightened the brackets with a hammer and that was it.. good as new..

Yeah used bumper is awesome if you can find a good one. Usually beat unless you get lucky. I got tired of searching and just bought a brand new one and had it shipped straight to the body shop where my truck was already in for full paint/body.

Richard

Here's some pictures now i may be slightly overreacting but this baby's pristine with 33k miles on it now she's a jewel so any little thing that happens I am going to get bothered! Any ideas how much the part cost OEM? and then to paint it?

George

post-27588-0-65742300-1522610009_thumb.jpg

post-27588-0-70361200-1522610289_thumb.jpg

post-27588-0-73048400-1522610305_thumb.jpg

Really hard to tell from those pics but the damage looks very minor. Very likely no need to replace anything, just have body shop repaint the bumper cover. Any minor imperfections can be filled perfectly.

A new bumper cover is around $400 if you can find one in stock, then prep/paint...and labor for swapping over your step pad, the small lower one is stuck to the cover with strong adhesive tape. Top one just clips in, but you have to be careful to not break the tabs removing it.

Richard

I would just repair the cover you have...... and never park on the street again. Lol

I hope you got the guys insurance and make them pay. Find an expensive body shop that does custom

Cars or corvettes...... dont goto a production body shop....

Edited by BigRed06 (see edit history)

I would just repair the cover you have...... and never park on the street again. Lol

I hope you got the guys insurance and make them pay. Find an expensive body shop that does custom

Cars or corvettes...... dont goto a production body shop....

The problem with that is it was a hit & run, coincidently when i came back out after i left the billiards hall, the space behind me was empty, so i basically have to incur the charges for someone else that wasn't cautious and responsible enough to leave a note.. my insurance deductible is $500 :sleep: I'm gonna report it to my insurance tomorrow for sure

Really hard to tell from those pics but the damage looks very minor. Very likely no need to replace anything, just have body shop repaint the bumper cover. Any minor imperfections can be filled perfectly.

A new bumper cover is around $400 if you can find one in stock, then prep/paint...and labor for swapping over your step pad, the small lower one is stuck to the cover with strong adhesive tape. Top one just clips in, but you have to be careful to not break the tabs removing it.

Richard

Yeah you're right i really would like to keep the original bumper cover, looking it over it's not that bad, the thing that's killing me is that in the second picture is that it's bent inward, it seems that one of the brackets on the inside is bent, the rest of the metal did not bend, i would think this is what throwing the alignment off the bumper with the body..

It may be as simple as the bumper -cover- brackets are bent. They're little flimsy sheetmetal brackets at the corners. Body shop should be able to adjust as needed. If the bumper itself or the brackets have a very minor bend, body shop should be able to handle that easily, too.

Richard

It may be as simple as the bumper -cover- brackets are bent. They're little flimsy sheetmetal brackets at the corners. Body shop should be able to adjust as needed. If the bumper itself or the brackets have a very minor bend, body shop should be able to handle that easily, too.

Richard

Thanks Richard, that makes me feel more at ease than when i initially saw the damage.. wise advice as always man! :thumbsup:

George

I have a stock complete OEM bumper and cover, step pads, and the mounting bracket with the license plate plug I dont need. It has to be painted since its Arrival blue but otherwise everything else is perfect.

I have a stock complete OEM bumper and cover, step pads, and the mounting bracket with the license plate plug I dont need. It has to be painted since its Arrival blue but otherwise everything else is perfect.

could you send me some pics? and what your asking price is?

George

Sure, PM me your number and Ill get a bunch of pics for you.

$500 for the full frame, cover, step pads, license plate lights, wiring harness, the spare tire plastic tube. Its all one piece so its ready to just bolt up.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

Sure, PM me your number and Ill get a bunch of pics for you.

$500 for the full frame, cover, step pads, license plate lights, wiring harness, the spare tire plastic tube. Its all one piece so its ready to just bolt on

Sorry just went to the dealer and it's $500 as well, wanted a cheaper option plus its arrival blue so i have to pay a couple of hundred to have it painted.. think I'm just gonna work with what i have it's cheaper that way, thanks anyways :thumbsup:

George

Edited by Silverado_George (see edit history)