Need some help, too low for me.

Solhays85

Hey guys/gals. I just picked up a 2004 SS. It's been lowered way more than I'd like, especially since driving it around town and bottoming out the rear and rubbing the front. The guy I bought it from told me that it has a 2in drop spindle, and lowering torsion keys in the front. He also told me that the rear has drop shackles and "not stock" leaf springs. So, here's my problem, I'm having a hard time finding SS specific parts and I don't know what parts are interchangeable with other Silverados. I'm looking to raise the truck up,but keep it around 2 inches lower than stock. So I have to be a newbie and ask. What rear leaf springs are stock, what front springs are stock, and what all trucks do those parts interchange with? I already know what shackles I need, and the front spindle should be fine. I'll get new torsion keys, but the springs are likely shot (assuming) and I need new shocks. Are front shocks a standard feature? I honestly don't remember seeing them on this truck. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can post a side view pic. I'm sure many people here could quickly tell you how much drop you have. From your description it sounds like your in the 4/4 region.

Upfront: 2" from spindles + 2" from keys. No springs up front, instead you have torsion bars. As you said getting stock keys should allow you to go up the 2" your after. Have you tried adjusting the current keys? You may be able to get it to raise ~1".

Rear: You probably have 2" from shackles, and 2" from hangers at a minimum. I'm not aware that SS leaf's are different then other Silverado's. It looks like 1-3/4" may be the standard (1500lb) setup, but other thicknesses are available to change the load capacity. But changing back to either stock shackles or hangers will allow you to get the 2" raise.

You should have a shock on each corner. There are plenty of discussions on what everyone prefers for shocks within the forum pages.

I ran the torsion up as much as I could. The fenders in front are now about 3 inches above the tires. This truck definitely has front coil springs. I just didn't see shocks when I looked. The rear I was told, has drop shackles but not drop hangers and "not stock" leaf springs. So I'm guessing that the leafs are lowering leaf springs and the hangers are stock. I'll have to take a look when I get some time. So I'm curious if the front coils are shot completely and if I need from shocks too. The rear I'm guessing I can keep the shackles and get stock leaf springs and replace the shocks. Doing this will I need to adjust for the pinion angle?

I ran the torsion up as much as I could. The fenders in front are now about 3 inches above the tires. This truck definitely has front coil springs. I just didn't see shocks when I looked. The rear I was told, has drop shackles but not drop hangers and "not stock" leaf springs. So I'm guessing that the leafs are lowering leaf springs and the hangers are stock. I'll have to take a look when I get some time. So I'm curious if the front coils are shot completely and if I need from shocks too. The rear I'm guessing I can keep the shackles and get stock leaf springs and replace the shocks. Doing this will I need to adjust for the pinion angle?

Some detailed pictures of the front setup would probably help this thread.

You say it has torsion bars, you ran 'em up...but you say it also has coil springs up front. Those two statements don't match

Richard

As Richard says, something not adding up. Your profile shows your AWD, which means from the factory you had torsion bars. I haven't fully researched aftermarket options but I wasn't aware of a coil spring option that maintains the AWD capability. There are people that have switched from 4WD to 2WD and done a coil conversion. The one thing that comes to mind is if you have some sort of narrow coil that acting as the shock.

Thank you Richard. So, when I go to lift the truck up some, will I need stock lower control arms? Do the spindles look like drop spindles? I would like to keep the truck about 2 inches under stock. As for the rear leaf springs, which ones are interchangeable? Would these work? http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/silverado-leaf-spring-1999-2006-3-leaf-stack-1425-lbs-chevy

I haven't messed with these enough to eyeball the difference between a stock or drop spindle, but I bet more than a few other members here can so wait on them to chime in. Generally you would expect the spindles to be stock because a drop spindle + drop lower arm not really a good combo.

Wouldn't be surprised if you can find someone here ready to trade you lower control arms stock for drop. Those drop arms cost a few bucks..

Richard