Whine Is Gone

Finally found a front differential to put in the SSS. I didn't want to tear it apart, and have it incapacitated. Got a donor from a 2006 Sierra Denali w/ 126K miles. Put it in and it's whisper quiet. Now I can take my time repairing the original.

Wasn't too big of a job. About 2 hours, working off the floor, truck on ramps. Tip: have a strong "bench presser" to stab the differential, while you start a bolt. I did it, but it was a strain!

Thanks for all the "how-to's, and previous advice on what the problem was.

Edited by FASTDIESEL (see edit history)

What did your diff sound like? I have a noise in the front end under a load, almost like a wheel bearing, but when you take your foot off the pedal it quiets down. I have a feeling the front diff is tired in mine.

Exact symptoms mine had. When off the throttle the whine/low roar/growl would go away. On the throttle, the noise was present.

When I got the truck home, I went over all the fluid levels/condition. I noticed the front diff had a right side axle seal leaking (not enough to drip, but fluid had slung around the flange). Couldn't touch the fluid through the fill hole, drained (lots of magnetic fluff on the drain plug), only about 1 qt. came out (about 1/2 of the recommended fill). Apparently, the leak had gone unnoticed and the oil level had been dropping for some time. I refilled with Mobil 1 75w90, the noise was a little quieter, but I knew the diff was injured.

I'll order parts (bearings and seals) and rebuild the original for a spare. This is a common problem.