HELP: Clunk/skip on hard launch

Hey guys, so I'm getting a harsh clunk, what almost feels like a chain skip or a delayed AWD activation feeling in the front end on harder launches. It will do it in reverse also I believe. When on a slippery surface (snow/ice) it doesn't really do it, although I will hear a click from the L/F which might be axle slop?

Am I looking at a transfer case rebuild?

hmmmm, bit of reading and apparently using Autotrak II has been a fix for some issues. GM apparently recommends MTF now or something? I just used the same DEX6 as transmission, seems that could be too thin or something.

Could that be an issue as it was actually spec'd for DEX3 back in the day which is non synthetic...

Edited by yanrider (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up its the chain slipping in the transfer case, changing the oil will make u believe its resolved but a stretched chain is just that a stretched chain and it will show its ass again very soon. Simple job to do with minimal tools and am sure theres many How tos on here. If u got any questions I dont mind walking u through everything u need to resolve your issue.

Ya I just need it to last a little while longer, planning to pull the transmission this summer and rebuild both.

Might pick up a blown engine this weekend. Would be nice to drop in a freshly rebuilt engine at the same time...

Ill have to see where my truck is at first. The insurance took it, if i pulled it apart I would get nothing for it. I can find out Monday since its in my area. They are just going to auction off the what they can, then the rest will go to the junkyard.

it sucks, this is the second SS ive owned that someone wrecked since my new brand new with 4 miles on it in 04.