Too much rust? Thoughts

Silverado_George

*UPDATE

I called the dealer just now and they said that they are "firm on price" :thumbsdown: lets see a list of the defects: light scratch on passenger side mirror, looks like a hole or dent on the bottom right front bumper, cheap tires, cheap reproduction wheels, light rust on the undercarriage and the brake lines do not look rusted. This on top of the fact that i haven't even test drove it yet, but according to them, the truck passed their "62 point inspection" but i know better than to trust a sleazy dealership.. all the stuff i listed is minor stuff of course and fixable and in my opinion they should budge at least a bit, i'm having mixed emotions on this one wether to pull the trigger or not? :uhoh:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*UPDATE

I called the dealer just now and they said that they are "firm on price" :thumbsdown: lets see a list of the defects: light scratch on passenger side mirror, looks like a hole or dent on the bottom right front bumper, cheap tires, cheap reproduction wheels, light rust on the undercarriage and the brake lines do not look rusted. This on top of the fact that i haven't even test drove it yet, but according to them, the truck passed their "62 point inspection" but i know better than to trust a sleazy dealership.. all the stuff i listed is minor stuff of course and fixable and in my opinion they should budge at least a bit, i'm having mixed emotions on this one wether to pull the trigger or not? :uhoh:

I will say nice low mileage SSS are hard to come by. The place that has it for sale has at least a few SSS in stock at any given time so they know what the market is. When I bought mine 3 years ago I tried to get the Ford dealer I found it at to budge on the price and they didnt. I have always been of the opinion that you should buy the best example you can find. As I have learned in life you always seem to spend a little more but if in the end you get what you want then its worth it in the long run. My truck has had zero issues in the last three years and I couldnt have been happier with it even though I spent more than I wanted initially...... Edited by BigRed06 (see edit history)

I will say nice low mileage SSS are hard to come by. The place that has it for sale has at least a few SSS in stock at any given time so they know what the market is. When I bought mine 3 years ago I tried to get the Ford dealer I found it at to budge on the price and they didnt. I have always been of the opinion that you should buy the best example you can find. As I have learned in life you always seem to spend a little more but if in the end you get what you want then its worth it in the long run. My truck has had zero issues in the last three years and I couldnt have been happier with it even though I spent more than I wanted initially......

True, it does payoff in the end but i would expect that they would budge at least a bit on the price if i am there in person as opposed to over the phone, the grand total with taxes and license and registration fees would come out to 23,500 at their price but i have a 5k down payment.. I would really need to test drive it though, Santa Ana's about 6 hours from where I live so i would need to obviously go early and ask for the day off at work.. hopefully when i see the truck in person that everything looks good because this is the first low mileage SS that I've seen even in California in a while

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys so I am planning to go see the truck in the next day or two, this is my first time getting involved with a dealer for a car purchase, any advice? I noticed they just lowered the price of the truck from 20,988 to 19,988 so that means they're flexible and i can chop the price down even more.. What is the truck worth in the shape it's in to you guys, assuming it runs flawless? I would take into consideration that i am going to have to put tires that's 600, then tint, that's another 200, and exhaust maybe another 300-400. let me know as this could be it and i could possibly be back in an SS :thumbsup:

George

I doubt the dealer will budge much.... they just dropped a grand. It depends how bad they want to move it. They are in the business of selling not holding onto them.....

Point out the flaws and see if you can use that to negotiate with them.

Edited by BigRed06 (see edit history)

I doubt the dealer will budge much.... they just dropped a grand. It depends how bad they want to move it. They are in the business of selling not holding onto them.....

Point out the flaws and see if you can use that to negotiate with them.

Yeah but they've had it for a while now so i don't see why not, on the other hand i am still wondering why they've had it for so long? :huh: Thanks yeah that was my initial plan, they should budge, wish me luck :thumbsup:

Edited by Silverado_George (see edit history)

Truck looks modified in some way. Something about the exhaust doesn’t look right and there are some installed switches by the button for the bed light. Even with low mileage it’s still a 12 year old truck, price seems high. Best of luck.

Truck looks modified in some way. Something about the exhaust doesn’t look right and there are some installed switches by the button for the bed light. Even with low mileage it’s still a 12 year old truck, price seems high. Best of luck.

seems fine to me :huh: but the real question is if you guys were in my shoes and everything mechanically checked out and the price went down a bit would you pull the trigger considering the bit of rust that is underneath?

here's another one and although more promising with less mileage and probably a rust free truck with it having had only 1 owner, you can say its a gem however i am driving from Oakland and the 06' is in Santa Ana which is roughly 6 hours, the other red 05' is by the Tijuana border which is 2-3 more hours away.. hmmm :uhoh:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d631&zip=94601#listing=195536583

Cluster needs to be rebuilt but def a good lookin truck and low miles, I paid 21 with 40k ten years ago

These trucks (as with most) hold their value...... I paid 21 four years ago with a truck with 40k on it as well. Lol

Dude it looks pretty good. Looks about like my Carolina truck. If it was truly rusted you would see rust all over the frame. Looks pretty clean to me....

Hmm maybe so, its just the way i see it, with the other truck it's a 1 owner California truck with less mileage, put it this way for a 12-13 year old truck i'd get more bang for my buck with the 05' as opposed to the 06' and i would have peace of mind that it's not rusted underneath and spreading over time..