Proper Exhaust Setup?

Hey guys, just wanted some quick insight as I am looking into getting some exhaust work done.. I am currently running a single dual in/dual out flowmaster 40 series muffler and I think I am running 2.5" pipes but not sure. Was looking through videos and the ones that stood out to me were the Borla Xr-1's and The Spintech Super Pro Street 9000's, looking for that really deep exhaust tone and not that crackly, raspy uneven one that you would get out of cherry bombs or straightpipes.. Basically decided on the Spintech since not many guys are using them.. now I need a plan, should I get single in/dual out or dual in dual out muffler? What size inlets, and what size outlets? Mainly was looking to get exhaust work done because the piece of pipe right before the tips is all corroded and has holes on it so using that as an excuse lol

George

2 in 2 out with 2.5" to 3" coming out just in front of the tire with 14" long 4" or 3" polished tips cut at a 45 side by side. I have the same setup aside from a single muffler I have two and it sounds amazing with the perfect drone in the cab and gets a lot of compliments. The length of the tip is so they can't see where the Crome stops and goes to pipe. Just my two cents

2 in 2 out with 2.5" to 3" coming out just in front of the tire with 14" long 4" or 3" polished tips cut at a 45 side by side. I have the same setup aside from a single muffler I have two and it sounds amazing with the perfect drone in the cab and gets a lot of compliments. The length of the tip is so they can't see where the Crome stops and goes to pipe. Just my two cents

Thanks sounds like a sweet setup! Ended up ordering the Spintech 9000 Super Pro Street with 2 1/4" dual inlets and 2 1/4" Outlets since the guy at the muffler shop said that the OBS trucks came with 2 1/4" piping from the factory. Didn't opt to go true dual because the mufflers would have to go horizontal instead of vertical plus I would lose a sweet exhaust tone.. Now what is a good price to weld a muffler on?

The factory exhaust size on the SSS trucks is 2-3/4" for the duals portion, and stepped from 3"-3.5" at the merge after the muffler with a 3.5" tailpipe. So the 2-1/4" di/do muffler you ordered is going to be a bit of a bottleneck in tubing size. Not saying the exhaust shop won't be able to make it work, but you'd be much better off going with a 3" di/do muffler instead.

Yup, scrap your idea and go with mine.

wouldn't 3" outlets be overkill though, on a 5.7 vortec? I mean those things are only producing 255hp.. I custom ordered the muffler through their website I mean I don't know much about exhaust systems, don't know wether the inlets are supposed to be larger than the outlets or vice versa.. if I did screw up, the muffler is arriving tomorrow and don't know if it's too late to cancel my order and fix it..

George

If you aren't referring to an 03-07c Silverado SS then ignore everything I said. I think it was safe for everyone responding to assume since you're bringing this up on a Silverado SS forum, that you were asking this question about a Silverado SS.

I think we need more definition on what vehicle your doing exhaust on. Is this going on a 96-99 Silverado (or whatever other years the 5.7 Vortec was offered)?

Yes it is a 97' C1500 pickup truck with a 5.7 vortec I called many muffler shops to get insight on it and they said that it's no big deal that I ordered a 2 1/4 muffler, they can just expand it to 2 1/2 if I opt to go that route.. but I have a mostly stock motor so idk which would be better or sound better using one dual in/out muffler, the 2 1/4" or the 2 1/2"?

If you aren't referring to an 03-07c Silverado SS then ignore everything I said. I think it was safe for everyone responding to assume since you're bringing this up on a Silverado SS forum, that you were asking this question about a Silverado SS.

Yeah sorry about that I use to own an '03 but no longer do, I still frequent the forum due to the many knowledgeable people here on GM vehicles..