Seat Tracks (driver and pass)

Clperry03

As the title states I need power seat tracks for the driver and passenger seat. I just bought an 03 blue ss and both seats do not move. Have power going in and none coming out. If you have some please comment and let me know what you're asking. My name is Chris. Thank you

Never seen 1 seat go out, much less two at the same time. You have a problem upstream of the seats, a fuse, relay, something unplugged, pinched wire, etc. Also, the seat tracks are the whole bottom of the seat, no good way to separate them without splitting the seat in half(also a pain in the @ss).

To be honest.. I took the truck to get tires and asked them to look at the seats and see what it was.. and they said they have power to the seats but nothing coming out.. so they said the seat motors were bad. I haven't torn the truck apart to actually check for myself but plan to Thursday on my day off. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be an easy fix. They checked all fuses and all were good.

To be honest.. I took the truck to get tires and asked them to look at the seats and see what it was.. and they said they have power to the seats but nothing coming out.. so they said the seat motors were bad. I haven't torn the truck apart to actually check for myself but plan to Thursday on my day off. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be an easy fix. They checked all fuses and all were good.

Do you trust this shop completely? It is way more likely to be an upstream problem, (As the three guys above mention.)

If I didn't have a long term good relationship with the shop I would get a second opinion, (If I didn't have the means to analyze it myself.)

Do the seats do anything? Tilt? seat back adjusts? lumbar? If so, then you have a bad motor or switch. If they are both stone dead, then the problem is upstream. The power for the pass. seat piggybacks off the drivers side, so if the drivers power is cut they will both be dead.

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed that when I open the truck I hear a clicking sound. Its the driver seat motor. I havent had any time to look at it and troubleshoot yet cause of life in general. Im hoping Thursday I can get around to trying to figure this out. Ive bought some seat tracks from lkq.. they came with the seats and all so I gotta take those apart as well if I end up needing the motors. Anyone else know if the clicking means its bad or just stuck?

Its highly unlikely that both seat tracks are bad. You have some sort of electrical problem. Either someone tapped into a circuit for aftermarket stuff or you may have a broken wire(s) somewhere. You would probably be money ahead by paying someone to properly diagnose it rather than throw parts at it......

If opening the door is making the motor engage, (Even just a click), the first thing I would suspect is a wiring problem in the wiring loom from the door to the cab.

Do you get any noise at all when you mash the control button on the drivers door? (With the door closed and you in the seat)

Opening the door causes those wires in that loom to flex and move potentially rubbing against each other, chafing, and causing improper current flow.

If your sure that opening the door is energizing the motor, and your not experienced / comfortable with studying the wiring I would go with what Matt suggested and find a good experienced shop.

Disconnect your battery before opening up the wiring loom to study the wires.

Best luck and let us know what you find out.

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)