2003 Silverado Extended Cab Build

03extcab

What: 2wd 2003 Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed
Mileage: a lot
Engine: 4.8L
This is your basic no frills truck. It does have carpet, power windows/locks but that's about it. So it's a blank canvas for whatever and pretty close to what I wanted because my boys will continue to learn how to work on cars with this truck and the plan is eventually my boys will share this truck as they start getting into driving age. I figure if they have some input and work on it with me then by the time they are 16 they'll have some blood, sweat and tears into it and hopefully that will translate in being proud of what they're driving and take care of it like it's their very own. We'll see how it works.
The reason I'm here and posting this on this site is I'd like to take a lot of the styling things I like about the SS and incorporate it into this project once it's all said and done so I'm hoping to learn a lot throughout this build.
Current Mods:
Exterior:
--18" K2XX wheels and tires
--Mirrors (need painted and installed)
--Handles (need painted and installed)
--Tailgate relocated kit (needs installed)
--bedliner
--debadged/demolded
--smooth tailgate cap
--shaved stake pockets
--tint
--headlights/taillights
Suspension (3/5 drop):
--Belltech 2508 Spindles
--Belltech 4454 springs
--Belltech 6514 shackle/hanger
--Belltech Shock extenders
--Self Made Fab C-Notch
--Belltech 4600 shocks all the way around
Performance:
--Black Widow Race Venom 250
Future Plans/Mods:
--Rims. Probably 24s. Thinking something along the lines of Factory Reps but we'll see. (Spring '18)
--Full repaint (Fall '17)
--SS Front bumper
--06/07 classic front grill and hood
--Front sway bar (belltech 5402 or Hellwig 7702) and rear sway bar
--Colormatch mirrors, grill, handles, bumpers (same as paint)
--shave third (same time as paint)
--Audio. I kept most of my audio stuff from my 87 so will most likely use much of that and throw it into this. Most likely going with a Pioneer AVH-2330NEX for head unit. (Summer '18)
--More stuff will go here as this thing moves along
Just like all of my "builds" this will be slow so don't expect this all to happen super fast but I'll start picking away at it

Here are before and current state pics

Before

HO6C8Ob.jpg

Now

mNRhXl0.jpg

cgJU6fq.jpg

Edited by 03extcab (see edit history)

Exhaust sounds good. :thumbsup: You gonna put a tip on it?

SS front bumper will look ( . ) ( . )

Yeah, I'm definitely going to do something different than the uglyness that's on there now. Either a tip and tuck it up closer to the body behind the wheel or move the exit to in front the wheel. But definitely something different than what we see there. :)

...and thank you, sir :thumbsup: Do you happen to know if the bumper that is behind the SS bumper cover is the same as a stock Silverado?

Yeah, I'm definitely going to do something different than the uglyness that's on there now. Either a tip and tuck it up closer to the body behind the wheel or move the exit to in front the wheel. But definitely something different than what we see there. :)

...and thank you, sir :thumbsup: Do you happen to know if the bumper that is behind the SS bumper cover is the same as a stock Silverado?

I don't know the answer first hand. Check out this "exploded" drawing from GM Parts Direct and see if you can recognize your bumper base.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.co/auto-parts/2003/chevrolet/silverado-1500/ss-trim/6-0l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/bumper-and-components-front-scat

I don't know the answer first hand. Check out this "exploded" drawing from GM Parts Direct and see if you can recognize your bumper base.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.co/auto-parts/2003/chevrolet/silverado-1500/ss-trim/6-0l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/bumper-and-components-front-scat

Thanks for the link! That helps a ton actually

This weekend was pretty good progress. tint done and all lights replaced. Brackets for the SS bumper are on their way and will get the SS bumper cover here in less than 2 weeks. Still a couple more things to do before she's ready for paint but we're almost there.

qMx8JBQ.jpg

This week has been decent...

1. Got some brackets for the SS bumper from an SSS.com member

2. Dropped it off last night for new rockers and cab corners. Should get it back tomorrow evening

3. New rear paintable bumper arrives today with new brackets

4. Air ducts for the SS bumper arrived today.

5. Lower grill for SS bumper arrives tomorrow.

6. Will shave stake pockets within this next week.

7. Goes in for paint in early November

Not much worthy of pics and stuff but progress is good nonetheless. Should be like a new truck on the exterior within 6 weeks once it's out of paint. Then I can focus on interior then performance after that.

Looking good brother. You've been busy. :thumbsup:

Thanks, man, and yes I have :) Picked up an SS Bumper cover this weekend from a buddy up in Iowa. Last week I received all the brackets to mount the bumper cover from a member on here. Last week I also got rid of the surface rust on the frame and underside and undercoated her. This week I'm going to hit the brakes and shave the stake pockets. She goes in for paint in less than a month.

• 2 weeks later...