Finally installed new SS brake lines!

LoneSStar

Well guys ,its been a long time since ive been on, but I blew another brake line on the way to work last week in the Intimidator , so instead of just cutting and installing a new piece of line from the parts store, I went ahead and bought the stainless steel line kit already pre bent from Russell performance, I am really happy with it , the quality is very good and also the packaging and instructions! I didn't want to pull the bed off so I just did everything the hard way , pulled one line at a time and replaced with new line!! (what a pain in the ass), the hardest line for me was the one running from the ABS block to the rear axle , had to snake it between the frame and fuel tank !!! but it turned out real nice , and since I was doing all the lines , I figured I would do the rubber lines and the rotors and calipers as well, again im really happy with the way it turned out!, I went with O.E.M calipers from powerstop but powder coated red , and Baer slotted and drilled rotors , I got everything from Summitracing, the calipers were 200$,and the rotors were 250$,line kit was 300$ , I also did a C.A.I as well, the rear drums looked good inside and out so I left them alone,

tryin to upload pics but having trouble!!

I've got a 2000 Silvey as well as the SSS and have put full stainless sets of hard lines on both trucks. (Blew out OEM lines on both.)

Went with oversize discs and cali's up front on the SSS. Stops good but still have a hydro boost set up to put on her.

This era GM trucks are known for bean counter steel lines, (CRAP), and they blow out regularly.

This is something I've been dragging my feet on, need to do mine too.

Hey Muggs,

If you decide to take this job on, do yourself a favor and buy a 9/16 crows foot flair socket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-on-tools-9-16-crowfoot-6-point-flare-nut-wrench-3-8-drive-FRH180S/362041198280?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D418b9958d57f42aba91d2337c4c98263%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D221758234703

It's the easiest way to deal with the ABS distribution block on the frame rail under the cab. (All of the lines connect to it and it is virtually impossible to work them all with a regular flair wrench.)

Hey Muggs,

If you decide to take this job on, do yourself a favor and buy a 9/16 crows foot flair socket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-on-tools-9-16-crowfoot-6-point-flare-nut-wrench-3-8-drive-FRH180S/362041198280?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D418b9958d57f42aba91d2337c4c98263%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D221758234703

It's the easiest way to deal with the ABS distribution block on the frame rail under the cab. (All of the lines connect to it and it is virtually impossible to work them all with a regular flair wrench.)

yeah , I should have thought of that before I started the job, it was a little tricky but not too bad , by the way , every time I try to upload a pic ,it says the file is too large?, I have my phone hooked up to my laptop, and try to import the file but no luck? any ideas?

• 1 month later...

LoneSStar wouldn't happen to have a part number for you stainless line kit would you? Surely there isn't any difference from 03 to 07...

Thanks

I got my kit from Fine Lines and am happy with the set.

They had some trouble getting the right kit for my 03 AWD SS but worked at it till they got it right.

If you want to check them out contact Josh Stamper on their contact page. He is the one who got me the right kit.

Contact page; https://finelinescommercial.com/ContactUs

• 4 weeks later...

I got my kit from Fine Lines and am happy with the set.

They had some trouble getting the right kit for my 03 AWD SS but worked at it till they got it right.

If you want to check them out contact Josh Stamper on their contact page. He is the one who got me the right kit.

Contact page; https://finelinescommercial.com/ContactUs

Was that the complete kit? Or just the hard lines going down the frame? How bad was the pricing? I already planned on going SS flex lines to the calipers. Cause this truck has a spongy brake pedal, and probably the stock rubber lines are swelling.

Was that the complete kit? Or just the hard lines going down the frame? How bad was the pricing? I already planned on going SS flex lines to the calipers. Cause this truck has a spongy brake pedal, and probably the stock rubber lines are swelling.

The kit I bought included all hard lines, copying all bends. They do put a coupler in the line to the right front. That right front would be very difficult to install if it was one piece.

The kit doesn't include the flexible lines to the front calipers or the flex line to the rear axle.

Sorry but I don't remember what I paid but that should be easy enough to find on the Fine Lines site.

They are not cheap but, I called my dealerabout the price of the OEM replacement, (plain steel), line that blew out on my SSS and compared to the stainless set, the OEM line was VERY high. No brainer to go with the stainless if you want to replace all lines.

Cheapest way to go is the local parts store and buy lengths of plain steel lines and coupler fittings. But remember that, as sorry as the OEM steel lines are, you'll be replacing rusted out segments regularly over a couple years.

I'll hit them up in a few months. The ss lines, and ss flex lines will give her a better pedal feel. I'm used to my regular cab RT's brake setup. 6 piston brembos up front 2 piston stockers rear, ss flex lines. I'll get the SS there in time.

Edited by SSRT (see edit history)