Security / anti-theft system recommendations?

Hey everyone,

I'm interested in getting an aftermarket security system installed. I've heard of the big name brands like Viper and Compustar, but are those really the best systems? I know additional security measures can be taken such as kill switches and what not, but I'll look into those later. What anti-theft systems do you all have installed and how do you like them?

Thanks.

The most important thing to remember is that the factory antitheft is garbage. All a thief has to do is punch the door lock out then force the ignition lock cylinder to turn, and they're gone.

Second most important thing is if an alarm shop puts any alarm in, no matter how good a unit, but their installer just pops it behind the knee bolster panel...an experienced thief is just going to snatch it out and bypass it.

On both our SS's I had trusted shops install a Viper alarm with pager function, remote start, and added a tilt sensor. The tilt sensor is mostly to catch wheel jackers in action, but would also at least let me know if someone took off with it on the back of a tow truck, at least I could get the cops looking for it quicker than just coming out later to find it gone. As far as the alarm unit itself I stressed to them that it was very important to me that they do their best to bury it so it can't be easily reached.

The other thing I did was get rid of the door lock. It's too tempting for even amateur thieves that want to break in and get your stereo or whatever treasure they think you have stashed inside. You can either adapt a rear door handle which takes some work including relocating one of the mounting tabs, so you're talking bodywork/paint; my ISS was getting work done there anyway so it was no issue. Otherwise the easy approach is to take your stock door handle and remove the rod going from the lock cylinder down to the latch so it can't be slim-jimmed that way, and bondo up the hole to the cylinder, sand smooth and paint. I had this done on our silver birch SS. Body man felt it was better to leave the lock cylinder in place as backing for the bondo.

Some more advanced antitheft work could include a Ravelco setup; fairly low tech but makes it extremely difficult to start the truck without the plug-in fob.

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

important thing is if an alarm shop puts any alarm in, no matter how good a unit, but their installer just pops it behind the knee bolster panel...an experienced thief is just going to snatch it out and bypass it.

Richard

I agree 100% with this. I am going through this very same issue right now. Got a very good alarm and the installer did a horrible job. So looking for an experienced installer is probably more important than the alarm itself.

Edited by Distracted (see edit history)