Temp question

I saw change in the dash temp gauge after changing my therm out. Did you check the old and new pieces for temp rating? Thermostats used to be stamped with the temp rating.)

Are you sure the one you took out was OEM, (180* If I remember right.) Just wondering if someone may have already changed to 160*.

I don't think you'll see a change in temp by installing a 160* thermostat alone. Yes, it may open at 160* and therefore circulate the coolant a tad sooner, but how does this actually maintain a lower coolant temp by itself? To benefit from a lower temp thermostat and see a difference, you have to get your cooling fans running at a lower temp too. Which may be an issue with a mostly stock 03 SS with a mechanical fan...

Just my understanding of coolant/thermostat thing.

Just changing the thermostat may not net the result you were after, because you're still dependent on cooling system capacity and condition, ambient temps, maybe some other factors. If you're an e-fan truck you may need to alter your fan settings in the tune. On a clutch fan truck if the clutch is a bit worn or not the correct one it may still run hotter than you expect. Clogged radiator or bunch of pushed-over fins, etc. you get my drift.

So what made a change for one guy may not do the same thing in your truck. Gotta look at the whole picture.

Richard

I saw change in the dash temp gauge after changing my therm out. Did you check the old and new pieces for temp rating? Thermostats used to be stamped with the temp rating.)

Are you sure the one you took out was OEM, (180* If I remember right.) Just wondering if someone may have already changed to 160*.

I saw change in mine also that was with the clutch fan when I put in the 160 switched to efans had it added in my tune and temps are same as it was with the clutch fan,, but truck runs much cooler with the 160.

So you only went from 187F (86c) to 180F (82c). To go to 160F would take a 71c. So your temps should of dropped some, but it would be pretty hard to see a 7deg change on our analog style gauge. I would have to look at the increments on the gauge but 7 deg is probably about the width of the gauge needle so your needle may only shift 1/16-1/8" between the 2 stat's.

So you only went from 187F (86c) to 180F (82c). To go to 160F would take a 71c. So your temps should of dropped some, but it would be pretty hard to see a 7deg change on our analog style gauge. I would have to look at the increments on the gauge but 7 deg is probably about the width of the gauge needle so your needle may only shift 1/16-1/8" between the 2 stat's.

I saw quite a bit more change than you are describing and so if your calculation is correct, I may have had a somewhat damaged thermostat to begin with.

Here are before and after photos of my swap. (Same conditions as to amount of time the truck had run prior to photos. Same ambient temps. I did change coolant when I did the swap.)

DSC02283_zpshubbjrzt.jpg

DSC02285_zpsmjtixum4.jpg

Thanks for the gauge photo...now I can do better calculations:

So each hash mark is a 6.25degF.

For John, you went from 187 to 160F - a requested change of 27F. Based on your photos you measured a ~24F change.

You dropped about ~4 hash marks. 6.25*4 = 25F

Now mixing angle rotation and liner measurements: assume each hash mark is 1/8" wide you shifted about 1/2"

For Ssfan60, you went from 187 to 180 - a requested change of 7F.

So in your case you should of dropped 1 hash mark or about 1/8" as I originally guessed.

Ok i got a new for sure 160 stat and now it seems to be working..sits around the 180 mark i guess...the first big hash mark

Ok i got a new for sure 160 stat and now it seems to be working..sits around the 180 mark i guess...the first big hash mark