death wobble at around 60mph

Gege

The problem I have is a violent shake in the steering wheel and the front wheels look like they are about to fall off when going over a bumpy road surface at around 50 - 60 mph or faster. It will only stop shaking when I slow right down. I have had a search on the site but can seem to find any thing much relating to it. Has anyone else had this problem? I have replaced the shocks recently and had it aligned but this didn't help.

It is almost exactly what is described in this clip on you tube but this is in a jeep

I am in New Zealand and parts have to be shipped from the states at huge cost so any information before I end up replacing parts that are not needed would be great.

Thanks in advance

Why don't u get a buddy to shake the steering wheel left and right as hard as they can while u check all the steering components underneath visually and by feel. Also if u have a bad ball joint the easiest way to diagnose is jack one tire maybe three inches off the ground by the lower control arm and put a pipe or pry bar if u have it under the tire and pull up while having someone check for play or movement.