Right rear wheel moves in and out???

I heard a scrapping noise in the rear when turning sharp right. Jacked it up found play in and out about 1/8" to 3/16" on right rear wheel. Wheel bearing?? Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks

I'm assuming it is not the wheel bearing since it is moving in and out and not up and down. As far as I know the axles are just clipped into the rear diff so I'm not really sure where the play could be coming from. I'm going to check it out tonight first everything around the hub, brakes, etc. then drain rear and look in to see what I can see. I have never opened the rear diff so not sure what I'm in for. Any help would be appreciated.

I opened up the diff and the clips looked like this. I guess I have to go to chevy to get these quickly trying to have it back together tomorrow for a trip.What would cause them to wear like that, just over time? Bearings looked good.

Not sure where my pic went but they were worn down only maybe 1/16" so Im not sure where the rest of the play is coming from.

Wish I could see your pics. Clips are probably softer metal than the axle so I'm not sure about your additional end-play.

I haven't seen the factory specs for end-play but there may be some acceptable amount in an "up to spec" set-up. Add to that the wear on the clips and you might be right where you should be.

How many miles on the truck / diff? Your wear could be mileage carnage. (Although I would expect that to be a high number. Given adequate lubrication ).

I said that I would go straight to the diff, (And I would), but I would also look for shiny metal on your dust shield, caliper bracket, and other related parts to search out the scraping noise that you mentioned.

I do think that no matter where the scraping noise is coming from, it will go away when you remedy your end-play problem but if it has been scraping long enough, other parts may need attention.

It has 108k on it, the cover had gasket maker on it so it has at least probably had the oil changed and the fill plug was easy to get out.I do think the sound was the dust shield as it was probably 3mm away from the rotor and had some wear on it. Hopefully I can get new clips tomorrow, I got Mobil1 75-90 and a new cover gasket so I should have it back on the road soon. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.