Wheel specs for a drop...before ordering

2006 Silverado SS - with a NORCALSS Custom 2-3/3-4 drop kit still sitting in boxes not installed yet :D Gonna go for max drop that kit allows, 3/4 total. Already have 285/40/22 tires.

Been looking at a bunch of different billet options and now that Centerline looks like they've thrown in the towel, probably gonna go with Intro. In 22's the simple choice without doing rear end narrowing and doing staggered setups, etc. looks like a 22x8.5.

Considering the drop and tire size what backspacing would y'all run on this wheel? I know if it was a GMT400 truck (88-98) I'd be looking for 5" to 5.5" backspacing. Just not familiar enough with GMT800's to know what to run.

Would consider running 22x10 out back if someone can recommend 100% for sure what backspacing to run without issues, and a tire that I can match up with 285/40/22 up front.

Thanks,

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

Good advice, yeah I should hit Tony up as I bet he'd know right off. Also thanks for the reference over at Intro, I'll check with them too.

Considering the "Retro", saw an ad for some in 24" and thought they looked pretty good 6 lug / 6 spoke. I gotta go 22" though, no way I can do 24"...

Alex - I've been taking my nicer wheels over to Tire & Wheel Connection on FM1960 for any tire mounting work. They use the plastic rings that go all the way around the bead to protect it, instead of just depending on those little plastic covers for the duck and "feet" on the tire machine.

I once took a set of new wheels over to the NTB close to my house and the shitbrain there proceeded to put one OUTSIDE hoop first right into the part of the machine that grabs the wheel, I was unboxing the next one as he was doing it and managed to not drop the one I had and run over to him and stop him from laying it right into the jaws. The way it was set up it would have immediately put 4 big marks on the outer lip. Really gotta watch who you get to handle your custom stuff...

Richard

Oh, I do that stuff myself. Haven't done a GMT800 yet but I've done a lot of other trucks. Problem is my job leaves me with almost no free time at all...which is why the stuff is still sitting in boxes in the garage.

Richard

Wait so is Centerline as a company closing down? I love those wheels, had them on my 95 C1500.

Tough to speak definitively on it as first-hand news doesn't seem to exist. A couple weeks ago it started sprouting up all over the internet that Centerline is going out of business, has ceased operations as of 4-17-2017. It wasn't too surprising to me as I'd had a recent issue with them a few months back on still not getting my wheels even after double the deadline had passed, then had a hell of a time getting a refund from them. There are plenty of other stories like mine around the net but it's hard to tie them to any recent situation because it seems they've had problems meeting deadlines for many years now.

A twist in the story comes with the fact there's a Centerline presence on facebook, with current activity. There are a few angry customers commenting on every post "where are my wheels" - and not a lot of direct response from the people operating the page. After reading enough of it though you get the idea that "Centerline Alloys" is the division behind the facebook page, and they are not exactly the same thing as "Centerline Forged" - the one we generally think of as being "the" Centerline company. The guys on the facebook page are marketing some lower-end cast wheels, vs. the forged stuff most of us were dealing with Centerline for.

ALLEGEDLY...and this is from some unknown person commenting on the facebook page...Centerline is undergoing a reorganization/buyout, instead of simply going out of business. I asked if he could share a direct link to the info for confirmation and nobody responded...so I guess only time will tell.

Richard