Whipple 2.3l 140ax Upgrade - Max Boost on Stock LQ9?

Recently placed my order for a Whipple 2.3l 140ax from Stillen Performance and I can't wait for it to get here! I have been wanting to install a supercharger since I bought my truck and have been saving since I bought it to do the same. I attempted to do my homework on choosing a supercharger setup for my SSS and decided on Whipple. Seems like it all comes down to what you want to spend on a setup and what brand/type of supercharger your prefer for your build.

I am curious as to how much boost my stock LQ9 will SAFELY take. The 140ax comes with a 3.625in pulley that is rated for 6-8lbs of boost. I have a high-flow exhaust (long tube headers, no cats, Billy Boat exhaust) so I know that will factor into losing 1-2lbs of boost off the top. From those who have supercharged the stock LQ9 before me, what is my max target boost before I run into driveability issues? Thanks in advance as I am looking to add a smaller pulley at the time of install since I am tuning via BlackBear Autocal.

• 2 weeks later...

No suggestions on how much boost is too much? I've read on other forums guys running the 140ax on stock 5.0 Mustangs to 15lbs max on pump premium.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

It all depends on tune. There are guys on here pushing 20# and are running fine and some like me who threw a rod out the side of the block at 8#. Depending on your boost levels you might have to do a SD tune instead of MAF sensor. I'm still waiting to get mine tuned again but I added meth injection this time as a little more insurance.

I'm tuning with Black Bear via EFI AutoCal. I told Jason I wanted to go with the the 140ax setup and a 3.00 pulley. I thinking this should put down 11-13 lbs and make great power safely when tuned right.

• 4 weeks later...

The Whipple has been on order since 04/15. I was advised a ship date of 06/15. I plan on taking pictures of the installation for ships and giggles. I have been working with Justin from Blackbear Performance for the tune and advice on parts to add ( throttle body, fuel pump, injectors, etc). I'll throw pictures up on this thread once I get them.

Tune, tune, tuuuuuune....and of course give it plenty of fuel. The absolute most important thing to keeping and engine together with any amount of boost is going to be the tune. If your goal is 11-13 psi, I'd find someone local to do tuning. Not saying that Justin isn't a competent guy or a shit tuner, but if it was me I'd feel a lot more comfortable doing it in person. Also, don't expect yourself to be satisfied with 11-13 psi forever, so build your fuel system to support more. I'd do AT LEAST a pair of walbro 255's, or a single walbro 450. Also, you didn't mention anything about transmission upgrades. Are you planning to just run the stock trans till it destroys itself or at least beef it up from the start and then wait for it to destroy itself? That's partially a joke, but in all seriousness I'd avoid all the BS and do an 80e swap because if your luck is anything like mine or countless others, eventually the cost of rebuilding the stock trans will far surpass the initial cost of an 80e. And yes, some people have had great success with a fully built 65e but why risk it when the 80e swap is so damn easy? I absolutely loved the way my truck drove after I pulled my head out of my ass and went to an 80e.

Good luck with whatever route you take, Im sure that whipple is going to be nice.

:cheers:

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)

I have upgrades purchased for the 60e, shift kit, servos, pressure plate, bushings, servos, etc. Pretty much whatever I could throw at it without taking it out of the driveline. I know in the long run the Whipple is going to smoke the 60e and/or the transfer case, so I plan on replacing the 60e with a built 80e once that happens. The upgrades are just to make the 60e last a little longer.

Thanks 12secss! I hope to have the install done and the tune hashed out by 07/27, that's the date for the LTPD car show at Numida this year. I'll be sure to drop you a line!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk