Tachometer Pinned. Bad Stepper Motor?

I was driving on my way in for an overtime graveyard shift tonight and I noticed that my tachometer was misbehaving. It would read an increase in RPM as normal, but would not fall when engine RPM fell. Needless to say now my Tach is pinned passed 6K. Has anyone seen this before? Is it as simple as disassembling the dash and manually pushing the needle back down to 0? If I reset it manually I am afraid it will just pin out again. Anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it permanently?e63eb18e69e9c9e16a2e2a252ff93a28.jpg

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

unless your foot is slipping onto the gas peddle your stepper motor is stuck. its one of those things guaranteed to go wrong with the truck at some point. there are services who rebuild gauge clusters. ive used http://www.gmgaugeguy.com/ before on my old H2 worked perfect after.

its the actual stepper motor thats the issue. you would be just wasting your time pushing it back into place its going to bounce out of alignment again. if you are good with a soldering iron its an easy job to do on your own.

Thanks guys. I'll replace the stepper motor and I'm pretty sure that should clear the problem. I've read of these instrument panels going bad as a common problem. Sort of a shame, my truck only has 30k on it!

Thanks guys. I'll replace the stepper motor and I'm pretty sure that should clear the problem. I've read of these instrument panels going bad as a common problem. Sort of a shame, my truck only has 30k on it!

In that case, it failed from lack of use. :jester:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was driving on my way in for an overtime graveyard shift tonight and I noticed that my tachometer was misbehaving. It would read an increase in RPM as normal, but would not fall when engine RPM fell. Needless to say now my Tach is pinned passed 6K. Has anyone seen this before? Is it as simple as disassembling the dash and manually pushing the needle back down to 0? If I reset it manually I am afraid it will just pin out again. Anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it permanently?e63eb18e69e9c9e16a2e2a252ff93a28.jpg

send it off to GMGaugeGuy

• 3 months later...