Rear axle making noise, wheel bearings vs carrier bearings

The rear axle in my truck is making a fair bit of noise. The center section was gone through about 10k miles ago with new bearings and used gears(about 90k on them). Because I was in a hurry, I didn't do the axle bearings. The axle bearings have some up/down wiggle to them, not sure if that's normal. I havent had the cover off, but the backlash seems good and the pinion doesn't have any wiggle. I did discover my right axle is bent slightly. So what's the chances that the noise (low rur-rur-rur that gets louder with speed) is in fact axle bearings and not carrier bearing or gears? Is it possible? Thoughts?

Considering that you've done most everything but axle bearings, and you have a bent axle, I'd say the odds are pretty good that that's what your looking at now.

You shouldn't have any "Up and down" play in the axle bearings.

If you can get all driven wheels up off the ground you should be able to track down where the noise is coming from either with a mechanics stethoscope or just hole a long extension against the housing in various spots and against you skull right behind your ear. The rumbling will be pronounced when you find the right spot of origin.

Good luck.

I cracked it open, fluid and gears were clean. Non bent side, axle had a little play, the bent side had a lot in the bearing, and it was wearing on the bearing surface of the axle pretty good. Hoping a straight axle and some bearings and seals cures it.