2004 Joe Gibbs Tahoe

GMConStocks

Found A Great Priced 04 JGP Tahoe , so after being on the look for a jgp Silvy for a long I pulled the trigger On this .Thanks to many who purchased SS parts off me in order to get some money together [emoji1374][emoji1374][emoji1374]

With Supercharger / Whole Package Just Missing 14" Rotors . Has 208xxx miles but in great overall shape . Has Transmission slipping from 2/3rd gear. Need to get that fixed as well as transfer case I believe . Also all new rotors and calipers , any recommendations on a good set up is helpful, I know Baer is a favorite amongst sport trucks but pricey. Front bumper ad Hood Have rock chips and paint fading , and a few door dings . Nothing major , Couldn't be happier with this find [emoji1374]Anyone have exact numbers for these / I believe the tahoes were less produced , any info helps [emoji3]7fa52670073ad46025d0806a258a64ff.jpgd687bcf8f7ca87f8a32c498b6f230cd1.jpgf01cf45f478f97c95a3abd718a90d467.jpg

Edited by GMConStocks (see edit history)

Thanks for the suggestion. Had a cleaner set of wheels and when I swapped them I noticed it's mainly rear rotors that are pretty bad . Might just get the best option at Napa with my mechanics discount [emoji1364]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice score on the "Hoe". I always liked those Gibbs wheels.

With the mileage on her and knowing shes got trans and maybe T-case trouble, I wouldn't be spending major bucks on aftermarket brakes. (But that's just my tight assed opinion).

True, but a perfect time to upgrade trans and convert to 149 and t case!

Thanks for the suggestion. Had a cleaner set of wheels and when I swapped them I noticed it's mainly rear rotors that are pretty bad . Might just get the best option at Napa with my mechanics discount [emoji1364]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced my OEM front discs with the larger option and rear stock size rotors and all four corners calipers with NAPA stuff and have no complaints. IMO you have to be careful about buying any of the parts chain parts. Just spend the bucks for their top of the line parts.

True, but a perfect time to upgrade trans and convert to 149 and t case!

True enough. Money allowing it just go with an 4L80 soon as you can.

The stock transmission in the SS Silverado trucks, (And I assume your Tahoe), is the 4L65E and is a week link in the drivetrain once you start adding power. A popular transmission swap is to go to the substantially heavier duty 4L80. It is not a direct swap and therefore somewhat involved. Also the gearing in the most common versions of the "80" that you'll run across in salvage yards is taller and performance will suffer some with stock power. There are aftermarket outfits who offer modified 80's with altered gearing and there are companies offering altered frame crossmembers, (which you would need also). All that obviously gets to be a fair project and somewhat expensive, (Although salvage yard 80's are not expensive).

The 149 that 1Bad mentions is the stock full time AWD transfer case that came in the Silverado SS. (The AWD versions obviously).

I don't know what T-case your Tahoe came with but the 149 is a good one and will stand up to fairly high HP numbers.

The 4L65E can be modified to stand up to a fair amount of HP and as you are needing some work done to yours anyway it would be wise to study those mods and decide which your truck might benefit from depending on future power adding mods you might want to pursue.

I'm a jackass but I'd use the opportunity to put a 2WD 4L80E in there and chuck the transfer case and front half shafts. :)

Pretty cool Tahoe. I respect that the spoiler is a Joe Gibbs item and part of the overall package but I'd have to remove it and stash it in a safe spot in the garage...

Richard

The stock transmission in the SS Silverado trucks, (And I assume your Tahoe), is the 4L65E .

All Tahoes and any GM truck with a 5.3 or 4.8 had the 4L60. The 65 only came in higher output horsepower applications by GM. So trucks with the 65 would be the SSS, any vortex max, H2, Denali, TBSS and Escalade..... since the Gibbs were modified by 3rd party it just had a regular old 60.

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)