When do you consider your mileage to be too high?

red03

I've not read all of the responses so I'm sure this has been said already but honestly miles only really matter if the truck hasn't been well maintained. For a well maintained truck 125k is nothing. If things break or wear out then just replace or upgrade them and move on especially if you love the truck.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread but.... I am never selling my truck. I am going to dive it until the wheels fall off then put them back on again. A new trunk these days are 30-60K and for me that is a lot of money. But an engine from ebay is 3k a rebuilt trans is a few k. It doesn't make sense to get rid of it. Yes, i will agree it does get old having the same truck for 11 years but I still love it. And i can tell you this much no car payment will bring me more joy then being debt free riding in a SS. It is old and has a lot of war wounds. I need to replace some cladding and other cosmetic parts but she still looks good after 11 years and i get compliments and somebody offers to buy it at least once a month. Now I will be honest, I am going to buy an OG SS one ove these days with the 454 in it. I really hated that maroon interior though. But I always thought it would be cool to have my 04 ss and a 90 ss.

• 4 months later...

My Duramax with 240k is paid off and I kept it to save for when I need to tow.  I bought the SS with 127k to daily since I only drive 3 miles to work.  I took one of the GM master techs from work (I’m a service writer) to help me check it out fully before I decided on this one.  If you’ve taken that good of care with it, you should expect many more miles of fun.  I plan to keep mine and make it less of a daily driver (more of a Sunday cruiser) whenever I decide to buy newer single cab RWD.  Ride it till the wheels fall off!

Edited by Twinstick (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I dont have an SS, yet, but my 1500 I bought brand new in 05' is pushing 400,000 miles. To this day, It has never left me stranded on the side of the road. The valve guide seals are toast and it knocks pretty bad, but still runs like a champ. Although, I fear it may break on me soon. Who knows. Its been to 31 states and I took an 8,000 mile roadtrip out west in it when it had 278,000 miles on it. 

• 3 months later...

I just hit 215,000 miles.  I still love the truck, and its still runs strong for basically stock.  Getting ready to spend another $5000 to repaint and freshen up. Still on original alternator, radiator, power steering pump, etc.  Replaced water pump at about 180,000 miles for $120 and it was the easiest WP I had ever done.  Never stranded me.  Only major failure was transfer case needed replacement at 150,000 miles for $2300 (on the road) as rear driveshaft yoke was flopping around in it, but as it turns out I still was able to drive from West Palm Beach to Harrisburg PA on the front differential.  That failure might have been my fault as I replaced with transmission fluid via shop manual when I hear that the GM Autotrack fluid is the best fluid for the SSS.  Can't use gear oil like 4WD in our AWD.

Anyway, I prefer these trucks over new, as the new Silverados are much taller and bigger overall.  My truck with 305mm tires takes corners very well, and remains a more capable handling truck than the larger and heavier modern trucks.

And the SSS has a classic and timeless design that gets me at least a compliment every single month, even though I need paint on the roof, Gaylord tonneau cover, hood, and front bumper & grille, after 215K miles and being parked outside in South Florida sun EVERY single day except maybe 20 days since 12/2003.  In addition, I work at the St. Lucie Nuclear plant, which is about 150 yards from the beach (salt spray) and I am ONLY just getting body rust starting on the bottom of the front passenger door. 

I am amazed with the LQ9 (LS1 architecture) longenvity and the factory paint durability/quality considering!  My wife's 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport with 87K miles has already needed the front bumper painted from water-based paint chipping off during highway driving!  BMW paint is not durable like the SSS. Oh and BMW uses plastic for the charge pipe coming off the turbo to the intercooler and hard plastic line from the radaitor inlet hose to the overflow tank, which have both broken on me.  What could possibly go wrong with using hard plastic on hot engine systems under pressure!  BMW got me for $1060 to replace the 3 foot plastic turbo charge pipe, that took them 45 minutes to swap out.  Geez!!  SSS makes BMW look like an unreliable POS!

Edited by I CORNER (see edit history)

• 1 month later...