Front differential adjustment/maintenance

I just picked up a used Escalade Front diff with 77k miles to replace mine which has 200k and needs a complete rebuild. The used one was $300 and I figured I'd just swap it in and could take my time to rebuild the old one and put an e-locker and I won't have any downtime. Is there any maintenance other than oil change I should do before installing the used one in? Any adjustment to check/make before I install it so that I can get a long life out of it?

To the best of my knowledge the Escy diffs are 3.7 gear ratio. I assume that your SS diff is 4.10. If all true this is a no bueno situation. Aside from that; If the ratios work out to be correct, 70,000 miles is a good bit on these diff's. (Without rebuild). Has your Escy diff been rebuilt? Have you ridden in the Escy it came out of to know that it is in good condition?

As far as adjustments; None that I know of without taking the unit apart (to check clearances) at which point you might as well rebuild it.

Change the fluid to full synth, (Change out the vent fitting to a white one if it is not already), cross your fingers and go for it.

Best luck.

To the best of my knowledge the Escy diffs are 3.7 gear ratio. I assume that your SS diff is 4.10. If all true this is a no bueno situation. Aside from that; If the ratios work out to be correct, 70,000 miles is a good bit on these diff's. (Without rebuild). Has your Escy diff been rebuilt? Have you ridden in the Escy it came out of to know that it is in good condition?

As far as adjustments; None that I know of without taking the unit apart (to check clearances) at which point you might as well rebuild it.

Change the fluid to full synth, (Change out the vent fitting to a white one if it is not already), cross your fingers and go for it.

Best luck.

I forgot to mention it's for my 2006 Denali. I wasn't sure it I need to check anything like pulling the axles to check/adjust the backlash it has a white breather tube vent.

Edited by abishoff (see edit history)

My bad for assuming that you were working on an AWD SS.

I don't have hands on experience with what you are wanting to do with the diff but I got curious and did a search. It looks to me like you will need to disassemble the diff in order to set backlash.

Hopefully someone who has done it will add comments.

I found this great post in my search,

http://www.truckmodcentral.com/forums/f168/rebuilding-gm-8-25-ifs-differential-**56k-beware-pic-heavy**-13813/