transfer case pinhole

got a 2004 sss, ever since i bought this thing ive heard from gm guys and non gm guys alike telling me to watch out for the infamous transfer case pinhole....now im wondering if the t case in my truck is indeed the transfer case that seems to have this inevitable problem...so again 2004 silverado ss awd...will i have a problem or not? and before i get bashed for not researching ill tell you i did but i didnt find anything specifing if the awd silverados commonly fall to this problem or not i only found that "its a common gm problem" thanks in advance

thanks fellas,did some more research on the actual cause of the problem and wow what a piss poor design,i mean im no engineer by any stretch but dang...they would have to of known these things are ticking time bombs....thanks again gentlemen

This is one of just a couple potential problems with this T-case. (Also look out for a leak at the output shaft seal. The seal seat can wear oblong and then a new seal won't cure a leak).

Other than these problems, it is a strong unit. Guy's have run pretty high HP through them and they hold up well.

Or it could be the output shaft bearing is in need of replacing, not a big job just don't buy from the dealership. If I recall correctly the bearing alone was 45 bucks.

Doughty is right. It is the bearing pocket that gets out of round, not the seal seat/pocket. My memory failed me on that one.

The internet scares me sometimes. I was cruising another site and this came up as a pop up. (I hadn't searched for this part and so it had to be known that I had responded to this thread).

Any-how this is what the "pop up" lead to. Looks like a good deal to me if you needed one. Made out of aluminum instead of magnesium. Hope they have a good method of isolating the two metals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BI3JIPG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AYUN1EXO5XQB3

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)