Cam/Build Questions

ok. so been a while since i got on here and 2 years since I got my SS. I have an 06 Intimidator SS 2wd. LQ9, i am really thinking about replacing the cam finally to update this beast. mods to far are CAI, Longtubes no cats, Msd wires, and a tune. It has just over 103k miles now. I moved to NM from east TX. the elevation here is 6k feet. it is lowered 5/7 with tbss 22iin reps.

want to know what some of you guys are running. i want to keep it a daily driver. my trans is stock til it goes out. lol. basically im wanting to know what all i will need when replacing my cam. cam, springs, pushrods, lifters, rockers, etc. what all will i need to do this job.

CAM- XR275HR 222/224 .566/.568 112LSA - what do you guys think about this cam. Also what other parts would i need to make this work. is this something that i would absolutely have to beef my trans up for.

Stall -2600-3000k. What brand?

Valve springs- 918s and titanium retainers

Injectors- 8.1l marine?

Oil Pump -?

timing chain -?

Rockers - what ratio with cam setup?

Pushrods - ?

Also, how do i know exactly what trans i have in mine. its options are 4l65e or 4l70e

any recommendations from you guys that already have a set up. looking for info. i know you guys here are the best source. any info you guys can share is greatly appreciated.

Cam is fine, I had a 224/228 on a 112 back in the day and it ran great. Converter, probably going to want a 2800-3200, dont cut corners on the converter, buy a good one. Springs, dont waste your time on Comp 918s, get a set of pac 1218s if you want to stay with a single beehive. Injectors, 42ish pounds should be more than sufficient with room to grow. Oil pump is fine to keep factory unless you just want to change it while its accessible, a melling m295 will fit the bill and not too expensive. Timing change just pick up a cloyes LS2 chain, stronger than stock by a mile and easy on the wallet. Rockers, stock with trunion upgrade, you dont need to mess with the ratio. Pushrods you can get by with 7,4s but its best to measure just to be on the safe side.

I just got off the phone with Comp Cams myself today, I have a new to me 04 all factory. I didn't want to do any trans work besides a shift kit, I told the guy I simply wanted to be able to pull a stock SS if one pulled up next to me, lol. Besides a CAI, a tune, and maybe some shorty headers for sound I didn't want to do much else and Comp he said the XR275HR would be best suited for my needs. Guy seemed to think with tune I could get a boost of 60-75HP gain. They will email me a parts list with Rods, springs, etc for the enitre job and said I would be looking around $850 total. Does all this (including the Cam) sound right. Sounds like I'm in the same boat as IntimidatorSS89. However the guy said a stall of 2400, zach why to you think it would be around 3000?

I have not had one of these LS2's apart, how much extra work am I looking at to do the Timing chain (or should I do the gears too?) and oil pump?

Awesome guys. thanks again. just wanted to make sure i was on the correct track. bacton77. there is a cam guide post that is pinned under this category. one of the more knowledgable guys here made a list of cams with upgrades needed. he recommend a stall between 2600-3000 as well. why..idk. im not an expert in this stuff yet. pricing this stuff ive come up with about 900 as well, so we must be close. im going to really check pricing now and see best places for cost. what kind of gains do you guys think a cam setup like this one would produce. is it worth the money? i think around income tax time im gonna get it done.

oh ya. what about a upgraded fuel pump

Edited by IntimidatorSS89 (see edit history)

Contact BTR or Martin Smallwood. Either of them should be able to get you set up with a cam/springs/pushrods kit and will steer you in the right direction as far as what will suit your needs best.

I just got off the phone with Comp Cams myself today, I have a new to me 04 all factory. I didn't want to do any trans work besides a shift kit, I told the guy I simply wanted to be able to pull a stock SS if one pulled up next to me, lol. Besides a CAI, a tune, and maybe some shorty headers for sound I didn't want to do much else and Comp he said the XR275HR would be best suited for my needs. Guy seemed to think with tune I could get a boost of 60-75HP gain. They will email me a parts list with Rods, springs, etc for the enitre job and said I would be looking around $850 total. Does all this (including the Cam) sound right. Sounds like I'm in the same boat as IntimidatorSS89. However the guy said a stall of 2400, zach why to you think it would be around 3000?

I have not had one of these LS2's apart, how much extra work am I looking at to do the Timing chain (or should I do the gears too?) and oil pump?

I had a 3000 stall in my truck the first go around with a 224/228 cam and a mildly built trans and it worked great for me. Still had good street manners and I drove it every day for almost 2 years with that combo before diving into the forced induction game. You might be able to get away with a little less converter being 2wd and a slightly smaller cam but I think around the 3000 mark is a good stall range to be in for an NA cam only truck.

These trucks do not have an LS2 in them. I'd recommend researching around the forum a little more before diving into that project.

what are your guys' feelings on these cams

XR281HR 228/230 .571/.573 112LSA

XER273HR 224/230 .581/.591 114LSA

If i put more work into trans would it be worth it for one of these. my understanding is the xer273hr is a better setup if a supercharger was added. and maybe somewhere down the line that would be a possibility. i figured getting a better intake setup would probably be necessary. would i also need a better fuel pump at this point. i just figure if im gonna go through the trouble to change the motor and trans, id rather get the most power out of the truck. does anybody here run either of these cams?