Rear shocks specifically QA1

1981evildisco

Alrighty boys and girls, get strapped in or strapped on because this is going to be wild.

So my SSI has 185k(i know, I know) and I have not replaced the shocks yet(as in they are oem). As you could imagine there is little to no dampening.

That being said I have tried more than a few brands and I have my picks.

KYB- never again, Jesus never again.

Blistien- huge fan(didn't see a street performance version however)

Monroe- Ok but very meh

So I was doing my research, I had only a few priorities(no specific order):

1. Must be made in USA(if we want our economy going we need to be supporting domestic manufacturers)

2. Needs to be of the highest quality.

3. Needs to look good.

4. Needs to provide adequate dampening wether: towing, running around town, spirited driving, or on the track.

So I settled on QA1, they are rebuildabke as well, come with a great warranty and meet all my requirements.

I ordered the TS905 shocks from summit, they are single adjustable and we're $153ea.

When I got them(they are beautiful), I went to put them on. They do not fit due to the shortness of the lower mounting eye and width of the shock body.

I called QA1 and they asked for pics which I took about 20. They will be updating their catalog soon if not already. They are currently sending me the TD905s which have a longer lower mounting eye and are double adjustable.

I'll keep y'all updated as to the going ons.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Alright.

So I know this is an old thread but I wanted to post an update.

Truck has 193,4XX on it and I have noticed that there has been enough play in the rear suspension to make a racket. The factory bolts are undersize for the hole/eyelet mount. After calling QA1 and asking what the eyelet inside diameter is... it turns out to be 9/16.

So to solve the issue I went to Lowes and bought 2x 9/16 x 3" bolts and related washers/nuts(I coated the bolt in black RTV). That worked like a charm, I bought another pair and will install them on the top. No noise and about zero play. I really wish GM would have gone with 9/16ths bolts from the jump.

Might want to compare the grading on the original bolts to what you got from the hardware store. Usually hardware store stuff is super low grade, not up to most jobs of holding parts on a truck, especially parts that take abuse like a shock. Would hate to see you have one of them shear off and those expensive shocks start hammering everything around them.

Richard

Might want to compare the grading on the original bolts to what you got from the hardware store. Usually hardware store stuff is super low grade, not up to most jobs of holding parts on a truck, especially parts that take abuse like a shock. Would hate to see you have one of them shear off and those expensive shocks start hammering everything around them.

Richard

:withstupid:

Great point Richard makes. I also thought about whether or not the bolts you got have a shoulder on them where they go through the shock bushing. (I wouldn't want threads on rubber there.) No prob if you have a metal sleeve going through the bushing.

Good point.

I should have provided more detail:

The original hardware was Metric 10.9 rated hardware.

I replaced it with Grade 8 Fasteners, so its comparable and there is a metal sleeve running through it.