just bought a 2003 ss needs wor...

dj9c1

Just bought a 2003 silverado ss. it is mostly stock. it must have gotten into a fender bender as it has a chrome grill, rpainted hood and the front bumper cover is missing. runs great. trans only has 1 2 and reverse. ac is inop. only paid $3300 for it... but boy does it need attention. it does run like a scalded dog!

post-28532-0-61317300-1476555654_thumb.jpg

I have a chrome 03 style grille with the billet inserts if your interested I went back to a stock black grille it's the one in my profile picture to the left here with the billet black bowtie

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like it was in an accident up front. It has an aftermarket hood. My cluster just stopped working. Everything is dead except for the green turn signal indicators. I read the posts on here, they all seem to be about the stepper motors. Any ideas? I also need one center cap.

It looks like it was in an accident up front. It has an aftermarket hood. My cluster just stopped working. Everything is dead except for the green turn signal indicators. I read the posts on here, they all seem to be about the stepper motors. Any ideas? I also need one center cap.

If I had to guess without seeing you have some other problem. The likely hood of every gauge failing at once is about 1 and a million. When a stepper goes bad you have one or two guagues that don't work. I would start by checking the grounds and electrical connectors. You may even had a bad pcm. It's a little hard to diagnose through the computer. When I was at the dealer people called all the time to ask what the check engine light was on for. I always wanted to say hold the phone real close and I'll be able to tell. Lol.

I have not checked any fuses or wiring yet... I just got the truck shipped from VA to here in Florida. I put a set of tires on it, a battery and changed the oil. It's off to the trans shop for a rebuild and a new torque converter monday. It has a really big power steering fluid leak up front near the center of the radiator. I am just shocked that someone (the previous owner) would let a kick ass truck like this get to the condition its in now...

Matt, I too used to be a tech at a Chevrolet dealer in the late 80's and early 90's. Your over the phone check engine light diagnosis story is awesome!

I have not checked any fuses or wiring yet... I just got the truck shipped from VA to here in Florida. I put a set of tires on it, a battery and changed the oil. It's off to the trans shop for a rebuild and a new torque converter monday. It has a really big power steering fluid leak up front near the center of the radiator. I am just shocked that someone (the previous owner) would let a kick ass truck like this get to the condition its in now...

Matt, I too used to be a tech at a Chevrolet dealer in the late 80's and early 90's. Your over the phone check engine light diagnosis story is awesome!

Lol then you get what I'm talking about. We would always joke about holding the phone real close to the light after we hung up....

You would be surprised how many people just drive their stuff into the ground.... I could never figure out why peoples brakes would be metal on metal but would come in to have their butt warmer fixed....

• 3 months later...

Ya this guy is a lying pos. I boguht this truck for 750. He told me the transfer case was rebuilt,tranny rebuilt, and that he laid 6,00 for it. Transfer case is leaking like a faucet. Front diff has the growl:/ I really wished I just this site before hand. Then I could of scene this post. HEB went and saw it and gave everyone a heads up. For 162k it's not that bad. But the work he completed, gm tech?!, wow exactly why I don't go to dealerships. Worst workshop man I've seen by a so called GM TECH. He wiped all the leaks before I saw the truck. Tell you the truth I think it might be the steering box leaking as his dumb ass couldn't find a replacement? They sell them new..... haven't dug into that leak yet. Already did plug wires, spectre cai l, ngk irdiums, mobile1 full sun wix filter, rear rotors and pads, has the steering shaft rub/clunk. Front and rear shocks, replaced both mirrors, pcv valve. He left hanger conecting to tranny disconnected, horrible job on anything he touches, also did fuel filter.

What's left to do, noticed the for front radiator which I'm not sure what it cools yet haven't read that much about these trucks and it's features I'm guessing oil cooler? So I'll be replacing that as well has installing a front brush guard as I live in the mountains and bought the truck to use as my company truck doing roofing and Construction and don't care really about looks more so mechanically ok. Which he said he did a lot of work to it and I can see the bolts, and he did take things apart, but your one sorry ass so called gm tech. I don't know how you call yourself a gm tech. I do better work and I'm self taught never worked for an auto shop. He put silicone litterally on the transfer case gaskets and around the full plug... which he said was freshly rebuilt. It leaks at the tranny and at the drive shaft.

What's lefts to do....

Lt headers install. Passenger sides got a crack oems and drives side missing a stud on

On one bolt.

Front radiator

160* stat

Sounds like gonna go ahead and replace ecu... there cheap whatever.

All new tires as there tires are ****ed. Cuts in the sidewalks, one tire almost bald the wrest 75%. Anyone got recommendations for an all season tire that can tow a good hit? Currently looking at bfg ko2s Lmk please.

I'm thinking front diff, transfer case, steering shaft and possibly brand new Steering box which id like to buy new not rebuilt or atleast rebuilt with strength compared to factory.

Tuning asap once I figure out how much it's gonna be to do the major issues like all the front end end which the tune will be done by vengeance racing.

And all body bump stops and bushings.

Also need a front bow tie in black please if anyone knows where to get them.

Luckily I belive the motors good. Haven't C:T any cylinders but it has good oil pressure and zero knock or tapping. No smoke and doesn't burn oil..

It also pulls slightly to the right. Truck was deff in a small wreck on the passenger side front which I had looked up before buying and saw but I'm hoping it's just because he is a shitty mechanic and the work he's done is poor and needs to be corrected. Wheel see when I take it up to get aligned tomorrow I haven't seen any frame damage fortunately. Also missing wheel wells. Input on all of these parts would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks. And I intend on being around for a while! Excited to be apart of Sss!

I can't believe a liscensed Florida dealer would do business like so. Nothing but lies. You'll get yours you fat pos.

$7500* which in the southeast is like 5 grand cheaper than all other sss it has some rust bust I dbt mind takin it off and painting nice as shiny. Also need to do the u joint as it clanks like hell. No grinding or popping coming from the front yet though:/ also get the bed sprayed. Was hoping to just do a 4l80e swap from rpm with me taking his word on the work he said he had completed. hopefully this 65 they built holds up for a little. Anyone know how much or difficulty Doug the 4l80 swap is? And any input on the mister built 4"80s? Ha ls everyone!