2003 silverado brake issues after new lines

Ab_SSS

Ok guys, I'm new to the silverado scene and the forum. I've been an avid car guy. I've owned around 30 mustangs a few camaro and a gto.

My problem occurred over the 4th of July holiday when we went to visit some of my wifes friends in Florida with our pop up camper. The trip down went great. When we were coming back about 15 minutes from her friends place a transfer pulled right our in front of me and I had to slam the brakes on. The abs pumped one time and dropped to the floor blowing a line out. I put a crush sleeve in and bled it the old fashion way. I got the truck home with hardly any brakes. When we got back to nc the rear brakes were the only thing slowing the truck down. I have since changed to all stainless hard lines and new front rubber lines. The rear rubber lines looked fine and I didn't suspect anything wrong with them. I have bled 2 large bottles of brake fluid through it starting at the Mc back. I see no air what so ever coming out now. I have also had a friend bleed it with the scanner around 8 or so times on different days. I took it to him two fridays ago and he bled it and it did fine for a weekend and the following Monday it was acting up again. The problem I'm facing is you can drive the truck around the block and it will do fine but if I drive it say around 15 mins the brakes will start applying pressure and slow the truck down making the transmission temp go up and eventually making the rotors and pads smoke. When it does this the pedal is so hard if you just barely touch it the truck will come to a stop real quick. I'm stumped on this one and wanted to see if any one has experienced this. I all buy refuse to take it to a shop as I've always done any Mechanic work myself. I have no warning lights on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You probably need to bleed the ABS unit. You need a bi-directional scan tool that can communicate with the vehicle. You would need a "professional" grade like a tech2 or snap-on modis etc. You will then need to rebleed the whole system after doing the ABS, not sure if you did that?

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

I think he used the snap on version when bleeding it. So I would need him to bleed it with the scanner and then bleed them by pumping and opening the bleed valves?

That is correct... All the air from the abs unit entered your lines so you need to rebleed once you do abs. I would start over from zero to make sure done right. I am not familiar with the tool you mentioned if it has the abs function then it should work. I'm am lucky and have my own tech 2. I also use an air power bleeder that I have that utilizes shop air so I don't have to pump the brakes.

Well I borrowed my friends scanner and scanned it and bled it over the weekend I bled 4 small bottles and 2 large bottles of fluid through it and it's still doing it. I guess I'm just going to have to take it somewhere to get it worked on. I'm stumped on this one.

I have replaced the steel lines, (all of them), on both my 03 SSS and my 2000 LS Silverado, with stainless steel.

I used a Motive power bleeder on the SSS and bled the ABS using the "gravel road, build up some speed and stomp the brakes method". That worked fairly well with the SSS. I wound up with a better pedal feel than I ever had before the line replacement but I am still not thrilled with the brakes on the SS. I have a hydroboost setup and 13" discs and new calipers for the front to put on it, just looking for time to do the job.

DSC03262_zpsolyg4qt0.jpg

Motive power bleeder. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TK9FE8/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=70880319923&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1178529302670307737&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010151&hvtargid=kwd-119443506083&ref=pd_sl_8v7p7y9ohx_b

On the 2000 LS; I had better luck having my GF pump the brakes. I did try the Motive bleeder but it was going too slow and I got impatient. I didn't even bother with the gravel road ABS bleed sequence on the 2000. I got a rock hard pedal from a simple two man bleed.

Here is an article that talks about the difficulties of bleeding an ABS modulator valve. It doesn't cover our specific unit but gives some good overall info.

http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/service-advisor-abs-bleeding-procedures-for-common-gm-vehicles/

I think that I got lucky on the 2000, but I'll take it. The SSS still needs some work but it is better than the "grit your teeth and pray" that it used to be.

From all I've read; These trucks can be pretty tricky to get all the air out of the system.

Best luck. Keep us posted on your progress.