Suspension & Allignment Advice

C.Kiger

Hello guys,

Been trying to get things straight with my SS, 2006 Silvy SS 2wd. Everyone has been very helpful and ive decided to go with belltech shocks. But on another note, i bough this truck used, i am still figuring out exactly what was done to this truck. My main problem is the alignment & ride quality, got the truck it has rear drop shackles, and the torsion bars were slammed, dropped all the way down (raised it back up some about 1/2 in), causing the camber to be negative (camber is still negative after adjustment). After I replace the tie rods and the pitman arm, tried to get it aligned by a couple places, one place told me I HAD to raise my torsion bars back up giving a very stupid raked look because that's not how the truck was made, another told it just couldn't be done. Now if this is so couldn't I just get an alignment kit and give more camber adjustment? But I have read a whole lot about lowering with torsion bar and not one seems to say they HAD to use this kit.

Also I thought my shocks were needing to be replaced, because they look OE and at 90k Miles, so I definitely will be replacing them. But the ride is quite bouncy, (naturally thought shocks)but after reading through the forums ALOT, looks like the torsions being lowered can cause that? and then I also read about the bump stops need trimming will this apply for what I have done? I am very happy with the stance of the truck right now, slightly higher in the rear. I am okay with the ride suffering a little but would definitely like to minimize it for what I can. I cant just fully rebuild the suspension, I do what I can when I can , hard to do when in the middle of getting a new house and such.

I know I have asked a lot, thanks for the assistance, I really appreciate everything, so glad I joined this site. :thumbsup:

Well i guess it just helps to look lol, the front and rear is laying on the bump stops, the rears are mostly disintagrated. So i will order some and replace all of them and probably trim them as needed. But still any more input would be nice, Thanks

Lowering it by decranking the bars all the way down is gonna make a mushy ride. Better to have them at/near normal position and use traditional drop parts to get the front low.

I'm speaking a little outside of experience here as I'm new to dropping GMT800's but I think the bump stops actually play an active role in the suspension on these trucks, vs. just being the last line of defense on the older trucks where you only contact them at the full end of suspension travel. If your bump stops are blown out/cut/missing/etc. on these trucks I do believe it affects the ride adversely as they are more of an auxiliary spring than simply a bump stop.

Richard

Your front bumpstops should be a finger tip away from the lower control arm or around half an inch cause I know some of u got fat fingers. As for the camber I have had mine down on the stops before I dropped it properly and didn't have an issue aligning it at all and did it myself. There isn't a camber kit aside from the kit moog sells out that will give u more camber and the moog kit is just a thicker set of cams and bolts. We use them on every chevy we lift but that's so I can guarantee no slippage of the cams but do not help when aligning in any way. All that being said I would either by the keys and install them to get the preferred drop in the front your looking for or just buy a 2/4 kit and do it the right way the first time. Good luck brother