1st motor build, need advice

Dgiorgi34

Hi guys, was gonna get rid of my SS. Then I smartened up....haha ok here's what I'm thinking, I want more power but I don't want a supercharger or turbo. I'm thinking l92 heads with ls3 intake, long tubes x pipe with dumps, tsp 228r cam with 3000-3200 stall and am gonna do the easy bolt ons also.(under drive pulley, injectors, plugs, wires, T stat, and e fan. Is 500 hp down attainable with a good tune? I've heard both yes and no. ANY info on this setup would be great. Pros, cons, or if there is any big expense I will run into along the way. I have done some research and I like this "all motor" setup. Thanks guys...

^^ Yep you won't get to that number with some bolt on parts your gonna have to get a little crazier and open your wallet a bit more.....

Not necessarily on the opening of the wallet. Long tubes, tune and a used maggie or procharger kit would more than likely end up being cheaper than or close to the same price as heads/cam/intake when swapping everything over to LS3 stuff. In my honest opinion, because I've been there done that with these trucks...If you want to continue to enjoy driving your truck on a daily basis for a long time, beef up the transmission, find a nice used maggie or tvs blower and enjoy the power. Honestly Id still have my truck if I would have done that to it from that start and left it alone.

Not necessarily on the opening of the wallet. Long tubes, tune and a used maggie or procharger kit would more than likely end up being cheaper than or close to the same price as heads/cam/intake when swapping everything over to LS3 stuff. In my honest opinion, because I've been there done that with these trucks...If you want to continue to enjoy driving your truck on a daily basis for a long time, beef up the transmission, find a nice used maggie or tvs blower and enjoy the power. Honestly Id still have my truck if I would have done that to it from that start and left it alone.

If what he is saying here isn't clear... If you go LS3 with a Holly Hi Ram you will have zero low end and it will not be a good street set up or fun to drive. There was a guy on performancetrucks.net that ditched his Holly Hi Ram on ls3 heads because of no low end and was on a stoked out 427. I'm turbo with a Eledbrock Pro Flow and am redoing stuff to get more low end throttle response back. Be forewarned you will miss having that low end when it is no longer there.

plan on going to get dyno'd in a couple weeks. I have pretty much the same setup so I will give you a base line.

What I have done:

-crane cam pn: 1449551 baby cam but real torque monster- hot rod mags 6.0 hop up II

-long tube heads

-l92 heads

-all bolt ons

-built trans

-3000-3200(Idk) stall (monster trans) go with yank don't make my mistake

-90mm throttle body

-efans from pcmofNC

- built 4l60e trans. spared no expense

next step is to pull engine and have it bored to 408ci then build from ground up with built 4l80 and On3performance twin turbo. To think all I really wanted was to burn all 4s.

plan on going to get dyno'd in a couple weeks. I have pretty much the same setup so I will give you a base line.

What I have done:

-crane cam pn: 1449551 baby cam but real torque monster- hot rod mags 6.0 hop up II

-long tube heads

-l92 heads

-all bolt ons

-built trans

-3000-3200(Idk) stall (monster trans) go with yank don't make my mistake

-90mm throttle body

-efans from pcmofNC

- built 4l60e trans. spared no expense

next step is to pull engine and have it bored to 408ci then build from ground up with built 4l80 and On3performance twin turbo. To think all I really wanted was to burn all 4s.

You will be left... Wanting. Unless you have a good DA where you are. That cam has good duration, but could use some lift. Not a "baby cam" by any means though. I'm running something similar on the duration side in my 408 and also ran it in my 6.0. Curious to see what your numbers are. It'll really like to run up top. I'm guessing peak hp at 6500. Do you have a track local to you? When I had similar mods I was wishing I had a 3600 stall. Although another member with similar mods found his 3200 was perfect near sea level.

So Dyno guy just called and said the wheel base wont work said "99% of AWD dynos go to 136in", and Our wheel base is 143.5(please correct me if I am wrong) no no please correct me. Anyone know of a good Dyno shop in Virginia so I can get some real numbers besides guessing. I know I am in the 400 range easily. I apologize if it seems like I am taking over your thread just trying to get numbers for ya.

• 5 months later...

Engine Power built a NA LQ9 and got 550 HP at the Crank. Trick Flow Heads, Cam, Headers, Intake and stock bottom end with a Tune. Very streetable and 210 HP over stock. Not quite where you wanna be, but no headaches associated with Boost.