Stall converter without shift kit?

I want to upgrade my transmission/seat of the pants factor. I was thinking about a 3000-3200 TC from Circle D. Found here, http://www.circledspecialties.com/p-6-gm-278mm-hp-4l60-ls-torque-converter.aspx

To go along with that I was going to use a Tru-cool 40k tranny cooler, Corvette servo and a super servo. Found here, http://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=OPTI&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SUP-K034

I wasn't planning on using a shift kit due to the fact that I don't want my shifts too firm. Would this be a good set up? Im trying to build it so its fun but not annoying.

You will definitely want some type of shift kit. It's more about longevity and not letting the clutch packs drag. You don't have to crank line pressure way up but I would def do a shift reprogramming kit.

I ran one without a shift kit for a long time with the same set up you mentioned plus a .490 boost valve. With good trans tuning you will probably be fine but a shift kit would not hurt since you would have the pan down anyway. I live in michigan and do not currently run a thermal bypass.

Do you recommend the transgo HD2 kit?

Yeah I think lots of guys use, and are happy with that one. My 4l80 was built by a guy who did the dual feed mod and his own "concoction" of parts that he likes to use, so i can't say first hand. Like him ^^^ I didn't go for the thermal bypass but then again, I live in Texas and don't see much freezing temps at all.

Edited by 1BAD2K (see edit history)