Some pointers on replacing brake lines

So the stock brake lines are all rusted on my truck (no surprise there) I ordered a whole stainless hardline kit from RockAuto. Came with everything minus the replacements for the rubber hose sections near the caliper. (mine look in good shape). I already did the powerstop caliper/disk/pad combo from an 07 tahoe for the front and the same kit on the back of my truck.

So my question is this, I plan on pulling the bed off the truck either today or tomorrow. For people who have done this, should i start replacing the lines from the back of the truck forward or does it not matter at this point?

While the bed is off i am going to paint the frame with POR15 since i have some left over from when i had a rotting dodge truck. My frame has some kind of coating on it already but it looks like it is starting to wear off and some surface rust starting. I figure just throwing some POR15 over it will help it last a while longer.

I replaced my lines with a pre shaped Stainless set. The company I dealt with shaped the replacement main rear line in a way that you don't have to remove the bed to install it. That said, removing the bed will definitely make the job easier. Both re-routing that main rear line and dealing with running the new lines through the locator blocks on top of the frame where they go over the frame and into ABS modulator port block. (And removing / reinstalling the lines into the ABS modulator).

I believe that another member has installed the NAPA set and mentioned that NAPA did not put a union in the right front line ,(Beneath the radiator), and that will make the job somewhat difficult, although he said that it was do-able.

Here's something that might come in handy.

sc0004fda9_zpssnx44hl0.jpg

Thanks that will come in handy, Yeah i figure since i can get a few guys over to lift the bed, and i only use my truck on the weekends, i can take my time and not sit there and curse if the bed is in the way. My kit seems really good quality, you have to straighten the bends in a certain spot that is marked, maybe this is what makes the install easier with the bed on. Also i didn't notice a union in the RF line on mine, but if its a really PITA then i will cut it and add a union (really easy to do anyways)

Seriously...replace your flex hoses. They're really inexpensive and they do go bad. You'll have the whole system open anyway, do the flex hoses same time, that way you won't have to bleed it all over again later when you do find yourself replacing the flex hoses because you didn't at this time.

Richard

Whats everyone recommend for flex hoses? just standard replacement? i don't want to spend a lot of money, got a wedding to save up for :banghead:

Eventually when i get some more money and time i plan on doing the hydroboost conversion as well and i should be done with brakes. Going to call the local salvage yard for the parts. From what i researched i am looking for an 07 tahoe hydroboost assembly or 03 escalade correct?

Edited by evildcustoms (see edit history)

Nothing wrong with stock hoses as long as you buy a recognized brand. The originals may be fine for now but they do eventually go bad, just trying to save you the hassle of having to bleed an ABS-equipped brake system all over again when the time comes. When the hoses go bad they cause calipers to seize up due to restricted flow, pulling to the side, burning up pads/rotors due to the caliper dragging, etc.

Braided stainless is a nice upgrade but in real-world terms doesn't make a difference in how your brakes work. Some believe they give you better pedal feel but I seriously doubt anybody is noticing a difference between stock and braided, on a vehicle that has power brakes, driven on the street. I am pretty certain any difference they notice can be attributed to fresh fluid and a recent bleeding.

Richard

^^^ Agree'd 100 percent. I changed my lines to s.s. and didn't swap the rubber lines at that time. My brakes started hanging up so I took the advice given here and swapped the hoses and all is well. I got mine off amazon, used all AC Delco and they fit perfectly and was around 100-120$ for all 5. I did some frame painting while I had my bed off also. Was worth the effort. I did the power stop 07 Tahoe swap too, my hydro boost came off an 05' 2500 pick up. I bought a AC Delco 2500 6.0 power steering pump, Amazon also I believe it was under 100$. The hydro boost makes a huge difference and is the best brake upgrade for these trucks short of that huge front/ rear kit that nip ring was selling here :cool:

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to order the russell brake line kit, (Part # 672430 according to their website) Rather get it done once and be done. I am hoping i can bleed the brakes good enough so its drivable to a shop for proper bleeding procedure.

Also, should i just remove all the lines at once and then start installing new lines, or should i do all the rear ones first, the then fronts once the new rears are in. Not sure if it will make a difference when it comes to bleeding the system.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to order the russell brake line kit, (Part # 672430 according to their website) Rather get it done once and be done. I am hoping i can bleed the brakes good enough so its drivable to a shop for proper bleeding procedure.

Also, should i just remove all the lines at once and then start installing new lines, or should i do all the rear ones first, the then fronts once the new rears are in. Not sure if it will make a difference when it comes to bleeding the system.

I just removed all the lines at once. I used a Motive power bleeder for bleeding the system, then drove the truck to a gravel parking lot and sped up and locked them up several times to bleed the ABS. The gravel road system seemed to work OK.

DSC03262_zpsolyg4qt0.jpg

Well I got the bed off, and it looks like its going to rain all weekend, so i need to wait till the week to power wash the frame clean and start replacing stuff. With the bed off, i noticed my exhaust leaks are due to a completely hacked up cat-back. Looks like i am going to be ordered a Corsa exhaust (Which i wanted anyway). Annoys me to see such nice trucks and people apply half ass modifications.