stock transfer case in 04 awd how strong?

Front diffs IMHO are a weak link. They seem to always be noisy and have a propensity to spin bearings. Other common problems with this gen truck in no particular order.... Front wheel bearings, T case pinhole, oil cooler lines, HVAC door motors, power window motors and tail gate bezel handles breaking. I'm sure I forgot one or two but that's a start....

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

the biggest weak link in the drive train is the trans by far. if your relatively stock it should be fine for the most part. front ends go out here and there but its no were near as common as a blown trans.

Front diffs IMHO are a weak link. They seem to always be noisy and have a propensity to spin bearings. Other common problems with this gen truck in no particular order.... Front wheel bearings, T case pinhole, oil cooler lines, HVAC door motors, power window motors and tail gate bezel handles breaking. I'm sure I forgot one or two but that's a start....

funny you mention all that cause i already replaced a wheel bearing,front diff is going out (got the infamous whirlling and growling)has weak power window motors i need to get around to replacing,the trans shifts great right now with 108 on the clock but that is eventually getting upgrades anyways

• 2 weeks later...

couldnt a true trac be installed in the front diff?

^^^this...

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

What's the deal with the Trans case pin hole?

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

It's the oil pump inside the tcase. They are nortious for wearing a pin hole in the case. Only way to fix if you have the hole is replace the case half. I think there is an aftermarket plate made that you can put inside to reinforce so it won't wear through again.

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

It's the oil pump inside the tcase. They are notions for wearing a pin hole in the case. Only way to fix if you have the hole is replace the case half. I think there is an aftermarket plate made that you can put inside to reinforce so it won't wear through again.

BRNY pump rub protector plate.