Inherited SS with brake problems

brianwh832

My son just inherited his grandfathers SS truck its a 2004 with low miles. My son and I are here looking for some help with a brake problem. We replaced the rear pads , rotors, calipers, mounting brackets and all three rubber flex lines. The rear rotors are still heating up even after adjusting the e-brake to the point it does not work. I don't know if this is part of the problem but the brake light glows so dim you can only see it at night, but the real kicker is it glows with the truck turned off and no key in the ignition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-28148-0-28461300-1461880161_thumb.jpg

I am guessing but it's a slightly educated guess. I would look into checking the proportioning valve and possibly the ABS unit.

I think that the first thing I would do is drive the truck a short distance, park and shut it off and then put a piece of rubber hose on one of the rear brake bleeder nipples, crack it open and see if there is pressure on the hydraulic line. If there is you can be somewhat assured that it is not strictly a mechanical problem. You could probably achieve the same result as driving by simply starting the truck up and then pumping the brakes up pretty good. That way you could have the rubber line and wrench on the nipple and ready to go before pumping up the brakes.

The only other thing I can think of is that the master cylinder is dirty and the return passage for the rear brake lies are clogged. I would think that is unlikely but you never know.

Just a side thought but; What shape are your steel brake lines in? These trucks, and most GM trucks of this era, are know for the inferior steel lines the bean counters called for and they are prone to corrosion and rust through causing leeks. I replaced my entire set with stainless steel lines. Not too tough a project.

Best luck. Let us know what you learn.

My truck was doing similar. Front brakes wouldn't release.Replaced the front calipers and rotors, that didn't help. I had a spare master cylinder, so I swapped that out and all new fluid. Not the issue, so next I got inline tube stainless steel brake line kit and new brake hoses. Haven't finished the installation, as I have a few other projects going on. I converted my brakes to hydro boost, and it worked well for a good stretch of time. I believe the ABS releases the brakes, so that shouldn't keep them pressurized. I am going to swap my proportioning valve also, to play it safe. These trucks love eating up some $$$$$ :cool:

Are you getting good fluid at the rear calipers? Or fronts for that matter. Just wondering if there's air in the system and the rears are doing more braking then they're supposed too.

On the brake light, is there anything aftermarket on the truck? Taillights, trailer brake controller, security system? Seems like something is back feeding the brake light circuit. I find most of my gremlins where aftermarket crap has been introduced into the system. If it was in the abs, the abs light will come on with the brake light.

Since I have no experience with these trucks can anyone tell me if this looks oem. There is not a low brake fluid sensor on the master cylinder and no electrical connector for it any where I can see. The truck was a one owner when it was bought by my father in law and I was thinking the original owner might have removed it. The dealer told me that the vin number says it has a sensor. As you can see in the pic there is a place for the sensor.post-28148-0-35044000-1462411726_thumb.jpg

post-28148-0-89876000-1462411751_thumb.jpg

post-28148-0-03494800-1462411773_thumb.jpg

post-28148-0-45586200-1462411779_thumb.jpg

post-28148-0-02980200-1462411785_thumb.jpg

On the '04 and down trucks, its on the proportioning valve. You can see it in the 5th pic, toward the lower left. its the 2-wire plug. On the '05 up trucks, its on the master cylinder, and clips into that hole you can see daylight through.

On the '04 and down trucks, its on the proportioning valve. You can see it in the 5th pic, toward the lower left. its the 2-wire plug. On the '05 up trucks, its on the master cylinder, and clips into that hole you can see daylight through.

what he said