Spark plug wire issues

jon316

Hi, I ordered a set of VMS spark plug wires on eBay because for $80 they came with ngk spark plugs so figured I'd give them a shot. The day I went to put them on I felt as hey we're a bit short or had to be stretched to be used, but since I broke the factory ones I needed them on. As soon as I was done she cranked right up and revved up real nice! Ran super smooth. But as the week continued I started noticing random heavy stutters. VERY RANDOM, like if I shut engine off and on real quick, and to the point that today leaving work it had heavyyyy trouble starting. I checked them out and there all plugged in as I can tell. Do you guys have a recommended spark plug wire? Ones that are long enough, I'm hoping it's the wires and not the fuel pump or something.

7fad3bae808719dbac9cc0dff3f5fa18.jpg4067a3ef88809c2e73f138a81fe3bab9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok then it may be a fuel problem. If you haven't changed your filter in a while you may burn out pump. The pump compensates and bumps up pressure. Once you change filter it continues to run at higher pressure and then burns out. If pump is original and I don't know how many miles you have there is a distinct possibility it is your pump. I would get a fuel pressure guage and measure the pressure.

I thought of that, but i daily drive the truck why now after I did the spark plugs and wires! Crazy! And was not able to do swap yesterday advance took forever to find the wires and then as I took the plastics off my heater hose snapped ! So now to fix that and jump back into the wires today. Truck has 175k miles so yea I guess the high mileage is catching up to it.

I thought of that, but i daily drive the truck why now after I did the spark plugs and wires! Crazy! And was not able to do swap yesterday advance took forever to find the wires and then as I took the plastics off my heater hose snapped ! So now to fix that and jump back into the wires today. Truck has 175k miles so yea I guess the high mileage is catching up to it.

If it's the original pump it may be on its last legs. Could be a total coincidence....

NGK V-Power TR5 2238 is what the package came with. And Nope no check engine light. I need the truck so I'm throwing on some fresh ac Delco wires and as well as a new fuel filter and see how it goes.

It doesn't take much "throwing parts" at it to pay for a good mechanic to look at it and tell you exactly what you need. Just saying. :cool:

It doesn't take much "throwing parts" at it to pay for a good mechanic to look at it and tell you exactly what you need. Just saying. :cool:

X2. Reason I think it's not your wires is you should set a check engine light when you get a misfire on a cylinder. But as I say it's hard to diagnose via the interweb....

Found the issue guys. It was the hypertech tuner!!!! I got it for free so I've been running it for a while. Why it did it after spark plugs and wires I have no clue. So I parked the truck and I've been using dads 06 z71 which had check engine light on so I used it to clear codes and figure I throw the tune on. And well on the 5.3 it makes the engine ping and on way home from work just now same symptomsm. So the hypertech is now officially used strictly for clearing codes! Holy crap can't believe it. Spent an extra $80 on damn spark plug wires but oh well, went with quality ac delco so screw it. Thanks for the help guys. But I like starting these threads for others to search down the road. My solution was a weird one but Ya never know. In conclusion hypertech sucks, everyone here could of told me that.