Brakes not releasing. Any one have this problem ?

BC DOORMAN

Of course this happens when my wife was driving. Down town Detroit off ramp truck won't go, brakes smoking. I head down to assist, there's a State police officer behind her lit up just to help. So I switch wifey trucks, so she can proceed to work, jump in the SSS after a brief conversation with the officer, and off I go. Had to stand on the go pedal to get her moving. Just said F***it and jumped on the free way and just rode hard until I burnt the brakes loose. Got home and figured time for new front brakes. Ordered up new front calipers, slotted front rotors, and pads. Truck already has hydro boost upgrade and 07 up larger front rotors. Worked fine a few hundred miles and started not releasing pressure again. Had a clean spare master cylinder that came with my hydro boost conversion, so I swapped that out, as I retained the original m/c when conversion was performed. Fluid was nasty for sure!

Bench bled the m/c, and bled the brakes until all fluid was clean. I did notice the rears would bleed good and then not push much fluid and then good again. Now it seems worse, can't even drive locally without brakes staying clamped down. If I get out and release pressure @ bleeder, it releases the brakes so I can continue on my way. I just ordered all 5 new AC Delco brake hoses, that's next. The calipers are properly lubed and float freely on the pins. I am thinking proportioning valve.... The next time I take it out I am going to pull the m/c from the booster and make sure the piston isn't sticking. I have a hard time believing that I had 2 bad m/c's in one week.

The m/c I just installed was part of a complete swap kit that I purchased from a member here, was told and believe that it only had 40 k on it. It was clean inside also. The system worked fine all last summer and fall, truck came out of winter storage early, wifes suburban was crashed into and under repairs. Sorry aboyt the long post, just looking from a little insite from all you guys that know whats up! Thanks

The hoses is where I would have started, but after the brakes got that hot from forcing it home, probably best you tend to all of it anyway.

I don't know how common it is on GMT800 trucks, but this happens frequently on GMT400's (1988-1998) once those hoses get old.

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

Cool deal thanks Richard, Yes I am going to replace the rear pads and rotors to match the fronts. I have not over heated the new front brakes, as I have taken the truck off the road until this issue is resolved. I will post the outcome......