Need a hand held.

stevos_57

Im looking to get a hand held OBD2 tuner/re flasher and not sure what to get. Summit has a JET and a few others that look pretty good but I don't know much about tuning. My buddy has a SCT OBD2 hand held for his 02 f250 6.0 diesel and the tunes hes been finding online are pretty sick. Im looking for something similar but for my 04 Silverado. So I can find a few good maps and load them into the tuner. I know there is a good Dyno guy in NC a few short hours from me in VA beach but not to sure of his info either. Another friend with a WS6 highly recommended him a few years back but that all I can remember about him. If anyone can help please send me a msg thanks.

I'm with him ^^^ handhelds are junk. get a custom tune from zip and pick up HPTuners to run on your laptop to log. the absolute BEST mods for longevity for these trucks is A: a custom tune B: a wideband O2 sensor and gauge C: HPTuners to get detailed information about what your truck is doing. the most underated mod by far is a wideband. there are guys with turbo builds that don't have a wideband (personally i think they're nuts) and risk their build on narrow bands. totally backwards thinking. sorry for the rant, but i hope this helps! mod wisely!

I would agree a wideband is golden. My buddy with the SCT tuner gets custom maps for his truck off line and he can always pick from one of three to run on the fly. Didn't know if something like that was even worth getting for the truck. Works fantastic on his Ford diesel gues that's the difference lol. Who's (zippy) and how would I go about it.like I said earlier I'm not too familiar with the whole turning thing outside of going to a dyno.

• 6 years later...

Don't get a Jet tuner unless you already know what your doing. The support sucks. HP tuners seems to have a very large following with lots of examples and walkthroughs. I have a Jet tuner and it's so 90's. Even though it has usb it isn't user friendly. 

I will now buy the same as my tuner so I can load tunes emailed to me.