Tahoe sway bar...

Hideintire

Hello EXGM,

I was offended by your reply. I own a precision industrial machine shop with ISO 9001 certification...we do not "hack" anything. We sell parts to Corning, General Electric, Schindler Elevators, IKA, etc. We ship parts all over the world! Our rejection rate is less than 1%!

Why would you make an assumption that because someone did not post pictures, that the finished product might look like "crap"...excuse my poor use of words. I posted this simply because I was so impressed with the results, I thought others might want to look into it for themselves! If I could dig up the info...being an older gentleman...why can't you spend a little time and dig up the information for yourself!

"As far as wasting your time"...Why would you begin any project without a clear understanding of what you were undertaking and well laid plans to complete that task? Life is to short!

I am sorry for posting this for others to see, but its time we started caring about others and their feelings.

Jimmy

Whoa! Sorry man... But I haven't seen many posts from you. When you see guys on here posting that they will fix cladding that is coming off with super glue and other cheese type repairs I made an assumption my bad. You mentioned using a muffler clamp to attach the bar. In my mind a muffler clamp is a bit cheesy. The old saying a picture is worth a thousand words.... I along with others would find helpful. I was very interested in this modification which was why I asked. Honestly I get tired of posts by people asking about something that has been done a thousand times before. It happens here and a lot and other places. When a person asks to see something people post and say just go search the web. Well I see both sides part of me agrees don't be lazy go and search. Other side of me says show off your work. This forum has been around a LONG time and from what I see was very active back in the day but now that these trucks are old activity is slow. There are a lot of great tech articles out there here and on other site but I like pictures (guess I'm a visual person). But as I mentioned most articles don't have pictures anymore for whatever reason. You need to remember that people of all technical abilities are on here from beginners to pro fabricators like yourself. Share the knowledge. Sorry my post offended you. When I do things I like to make it look as factory as possible and I had a hard time invisioning how a muffler clamp would ever look "factory". Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

Hi EXGM...Nice reply...apology accepted, thanks!

If you re-read my first post, I stated some people had used muffler clamps, not that I had. But honestly...there is not much difference in a muffler clamp and a laser-cut clamp that looks just like a muffler clamp, other than the fabricated clamp being a bit wider and a few thousandths thicker metal! The muffler clamp would do exactly the same job...I'd prefer it be welded, but it will work just clamped. Some of the expensive aftermarket set-ups used a muffler clamp arrangement...back in the day! Now I'm telling my age, for sure.

And, as for looking stock, it is the only way we build them...Quick story, we took a 4th gen Trans Am, that had a true Pontiac motor, custom designed and built fuel injection and computer controlled system and fuel rail covers installed (Pontiacs built with Chevy motors are not Pontiacs!), to the Pontiac National Convention in 2005...the car was ignored! Until the last day of the show, when the editor of High Performance Pontiac magazine walked by and said...were doing an article on this car!!! What a nice feeling to have someone recognize the effort that we put into that car...unlike the 100's of die-hard Pontiac people that ignored it because they thought it was a factory 4th gen! Taught me a lesson...when I go to shows now...I am careful to look for the no so obvious!

Edited by Hideintire (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

5f22a52ebb12ba63915f358c937225ef.jpghad to drill this out a small amount to fit the mount bolt as shown above

07865aa667af2d407750180e12a0369c.jpgall bolted up also had to get different bushings that fit the 3"exhaust clamp stock ones were to small I used a set of energy suspension 1-1/4 universal ones altogether I'm in to the whole thing for about $150.00

5f22a52ebb12ba63915f358c937225ef.jpghad to drill this out a small amount to fit the mount bolt as shown above

07865aa667af2d407750180e12a0369c.jpgall bolted up also had to get different bushings that fit the 3"exhaust clamp stock ones were to small I used a set of energy suspension 1-1/4 universal ones altogether I'm in to the whole thing for about $150.00

Thanks for pictures! Did you have to drill a hole in the frame or is there an existing hole you can use?

Does anyone know if the Tahoe bar will work with a Corsa or a aftermarket exhaust?

I had to drill it I believe it was 10-1/4" back off the bump stop bracket just before that round crossmember any farther back and that crossmember will prevent you from bolting it on you wanna be close but not so close that you can't bolt it on I only measured the second one to match the first one that I just held up where it would fit and drop the swaybar and freehand drilled it only took about a half an hour maybe 45 mins it was an easy install

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

I did this mod over the weekend and what a difference did it make in the ride of the truck. I found a complete sway bar out of a 2004 Suburban for 27 bucks from a junk yard and it took me about an hour to install after paint and prep work. The sway bar made a huge difference in the corners at low and high speeds, the truck is so much more fun to drive now. I wish I would have done this years ago and im surprised more people don't do this mod, its a fraction of the cost, easy to install and looks like a factory piece. Thanks to everyone for all the info.

post-27763-0-50996200-1456251293_thumb.jpg

post-27763-0-95583500-1456251299_thumb.jpg

Defiantly feels better over bumps and potholes almost cushions the blow instead of a harsh bottom out corners feel much better for the money I wouldn't even spend all that money on the aftermarket ones your just buying a brand name in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more, I wanted better handling and a better ride but couldn't justify $250 for a sway bar alone. Im planning on ordering a set of Belltechs from Tony in the near future and cant wait to see what it feels like, should make for a nice riding truck.

Hello Alan and Scott...Great pictures and write up! Glad to see others getting the same results as I did. It's a pleasant surprise what a cheap and easy modification results in a tremendious improvement in ride and handling. It makes the truck fun to drive again. I really like the shock mount idea, that makes it super simple.

Edited by Hideintire (see edit history)