Looking at an SS. Need advice on used model modifications

mizzac

Hey all,

I'vebeen a huge fan of the SS ever since my uncle bough a black 03 when I was younger. To me it always was the most practical, while still being a sport truck, that you could get. I've finally hit a point in my life where I can get my own and I just so happened to have found one locally. Its at a small dealership, one of those small used dealerships that kind of make you say hmmm..

Anyways the truck is an 03, has 62k miles, is black, has a procharger(Model D-1SC) set up, as well Alcohol injection, aftermarket steario, steering wheel, boost&temp, etc. guage, as well as lowered a little and other little things and from the pics the interior looks clean. Even the leather seats dont look worn to much like you would expect most leather to start doing. The only blemish I really noted was a shaved tailgate handle that was done poorly.

Now they are asking 19000, and I haven't talk about negotiating that price down at all yet because I wanted to learm more about mods it has received. A supercharger wear and tear I can understand, but what worries me is the injection system.

I know enough about cars/trucks to get around but I have very little experience in this area. So any tips or advice anyo of you has would be apprecaited. I know those systems are hard on motors, and wonder if I should jsut steer clear of this one since it has been modded to that point, or if its something not to worry to much and I could remove it if I would like.

I am also curious as to how much power the stock tranny and AWD system can hold up to. I know alot of you guys are putting some serious power down, but I don't want to jump into a money pit right away.

There is another SS I have found that seems bone stock with 79k on it for 15K, just isn't the right color I was hoping for. Would I be better looking at that instead?

Looking forward to joining the community.

Thanks,

Mac

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That supercharger isn't going to be putting a ton of stress on the 6.0 unless it wasn't tuned correctly. Same with the meth injection. All that does isound keep the iat Temps low which actually would prolong the life of the motor. As far as trans, they are good usually for stock power or maybe some bolt ons with some good tuning. If you could get them down to about 16 or so, I would say it's a pretty good deal depending on if it has been wrecked or has rust or anything like that.

Edited by 1BAD2K (see edit history)

Awesome to hear. Thanks for the quick advice. I'll do some research on common rust areas and see what I can find.

Is there any downside to not constantly running injection? Like say its out of fluid, and I don't refill it? I need to find the forced induction section and do some reading there as well.

regarding the procharged truck i would definitely make sure everything works as it should and do a thorough look over on the motor and trans. if driven and tuned properly you should be fine but that price is a bit steep

Thanks for all the advice fellas.

Here is a link to the truck, I plan on going down on Monday to look it over and test drive it.

http://www.autooutletwy.com/vehicle/185178881

I may try to find a local shop that has some experience with custom motors and see if they would be willing to give it a more thorough look over for a cost. That way a more experience eye can catch anything on the motor side that I might miss.

Always surprises me to see vehicles modded like this end up at used car lots, but then again I guess there's more than a few people don't want to hassle with un-modding before letting it go, or didn't keep stock parts to do so, etc.

If it's set up right then those miles shouldn't be a worry, sure it's probably been driven a bit hard but that's true of probably any SS you'll find out there boosted or not.

Richard

Ya, would be a hassel, and almost somewhat depressing, to de-mod a truck you did all that work on. I have had several modded cars/trucks and usually just sell them with the mods. Helps up my asking price and what are you gonna do with all those parts lying around? to much hassel to sell them one by one.