Where to get a front diff.

Hey guy, just got my SS! Loving it but. But it has the dreadful front diff whine. Hubs are new and so is the transfer case so I'm left with the front diff bill. My question is can I get a regular 4x4 diff or HAS to be the AWD model one? Where can I get a rebuilt one? Not many shops down here in Miami to my knowledge that I can just drop truck off and they rebuild it so my options are very big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Auto zone carries a USA standard for a 8.25 diff that's a quality kit, it's 155.00 roughly. Installed it into a diff this weekend and as long as ur adjusters are not out of Wack it's a pretty straight forward job. If u type in Google 8.25 diff rebuild there's a two part video to give u an idea of what u would be getting yourself into.

Auto zone carries a USA standard for a 8.25 diff that's a quality kit, it's 155.00 roughly. Installed it into a diff this weekend and as long as ur adjusters are not out of Wack it's a pretty straight forward job. If u type in Google 8.25 diff rebuild there's a two part video to give u an idea of what u would be getting yourself into.

That's a good tip about the video. :thumbsup: Are these the ones you were talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DiTnLA5MpI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nj5rVdh6nE

My dad took the truck to a buddy of his to check it out, he says pure aluminum came out of the diff lol gear oil shake. So yea I'm gonna rebuild the damn thing. Does that rebuild kit bring the ring and pinion as well I haven't been able to find it. What a pain!

My dad took the truck to a buddy of his to check it out, he says pure aluminum came out of the diff lol gear oil shake. So yea I'm gonna rebuild the damn thing. Does that rebuild kit bring the ring and pinion as well I haven't been able to find it. What a pain!

I see some steel shavings attached to the magnet on the drain plug every time I change the diff fluid but would be mighty concerned if I saw aluminum there. There shouldn't be anything wearing away aluminum in the diff barring catastrophic failure. (Like a bearing frozen to a race spinning in the aluminum case, or steel parts gone adrift and beating the inside of the case).

Well I wasn't there so not sure if it was aluminum or steel that's just what he said. But if it has a magnetic drain plug and its spewing out of the fluid I would imagine it's pretty bad. For sure doing a full rebuild. May consider just getting a new one and swapping it myself but time for me is really tough.