Steering Shimmy,need help!

LoneSStar

truck vibrates hard from side to side at about 60-75 without brakes applied, feel it bad in the steering wheel... changed shocks.,had tires rotated and balanced, bakes are good ,, i have no idea what it could be.... ????? truck is 2wd and has 95,000 miles,, can anybody give me some info or a good place to start? ive heard of idler and pitman arms,or steering box?? please help, greatly appreciated

yeah ive had it alighned and no ive never changed the hubs or wheel bearing... i gues after work today ill jack it up and start feeling for loose parts... thanks guys ,any other things i should look for? how much of a pain is it to change the pitman and idler arms ?

My guess is that it is more likely to be Steering components, (Tie rod ends, Pittman arm Idler arm end, perhaps ball joints), than steering box or wheel bearings. Is the shop that balanced your tires pretty good? (They wouldn't miss separated plies in a tire)?

If you have a willing bud you can jack each tire off the ground separately, (Don't jack under the A arm), and one guy gets under the truck so you can eye ball the joints and the other guys moves the tire / wheel side to side, vigorously. This can show slop in tie rod ends, Pittman and Idler arm ends. For the ball joints stick a pry bar under the tire and work the tire / wheel up and down. Kind of a crude shade tree test for ball joints. (This test is why you don't want the jack under the A arm).

If it was me I would ask around till I found the name of the best front end shop around and take it to them. But then again I am old and time is too valuable.

Best luck.

I've changed the pitman arm, idler arm also tie rods inner and outer and control arm bushings twice and all the ball joints twice these all should be gone through at least every 2 years to check there condition jack the front end up put on frame stands release pressure to the front suspension with the wheels off and check everything.

My opinion replace the upper control arm with a complete GM one that already has the bushings and ball joints installed get GM bushings and ball joints and rebuild the lower control arms replace inner and outer tie rods and replace idler and pitman arms with GM ones these I find to be the best replacement parts for any of these showing wear if you can afford to replace all of these at once it would give the best results but that would cost a lot

If you have a willing bud you can jack each tire off the ground separately, (Don't jack under the A arm), and one guy gets under the truck so you can eye ball the joints and the other guys moves the tire / wheel side to side, vigorously. This can show slop in tie rod ends, Pittman and Idler arm ends. For the ball joints stick a pry bar under the tire and work the tire / wheel up and down. Kind of a crude shade tree test for ball joints. (This test is why you don't want the jack under the A arm).

The way I learned to check for ball joint slack was to jack up the front, support the frame on stands. Then, use a long pipe as a lever under the tire - approached from the side of the truck - while the helper watches the joints. Works like a champ.

Richard

The way I learned to check for ball joint slack was to jack up the front, support the frame on stands. Then, use a long pipe as a lever under the tire - approached from the side of the truck - while the helper watches the joints. Works like a champ.

Richard

That's exactly what I was trying to describe. Thanks for stating it more clearly than I did. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I had a vibration at 65-70 mph and it turned out it was the tires. I had the tires checked for balance, was told they were fine. So then I dropped a bunch of money into rebuilding the transfer case, new rear driveshaft, balanced front driveshaft, and adjusting rear pinion angle with no change.

Rotated the tires front to rear, and the vibration completely changed, shaked more violently and I could feel it in the steering wheel. 2 new tires and everything was smooth again.

Tires can balance out fine and still be bad/out of round.