Tapping noise coming from the front driver side

Fullmaxx

Just bought a 2005 Silverado SS AWD with 128,000 miles. Previous owner has already replaced the driver side axle twice thinking the first one was bad as well as the bearings. Also changed the fluids and additive. He stated that he has not heard this tapping noise for several months. As luck would have it I heard a tapping noise as I turned into my subdivision tonight. Sounds like someone tapping a hammer on a solid piece of aluminum. It only did it like 4-5 taps and then quit as I straightened the truck up. Any suggestions.

Thanks for the input guys. It did not do it while power breaking it. I also did a turn into the subdivision under acceleration and it would not do it. Yesterday when it did it turning into the subdivision it was a left turn and coasting.

The noise did it again today while going down the road 3 times pretty close together. It also seemed like bumps in the road triggered the episodes. I was able to determine that it was possibly coming from the rear end of the truck. It's almost like the limited slip is trying to engage. The truck has 128,000 and still has original reared diff oil. I picked up some new oil today from the dealership and plane on changing it tonight. Any other suggestions?

I ended up changing the rear diff oil tonight. While I had it on the rack i did notice the passenger side bump stop was missing. Nothing else was out of place or any noticeable damage to anything. Double checked to make sure the front wheels had no play in them. It made the same noise while driving home.

Edited by Fullmaxx (see edit history)

No chunks or anything to lead u to believe it could be the rear end? Just know when spider gears start loosing teeth it pops when turning but if it's when going over bumps mainly then I'm at a loss brother and like said before look for shiney metal where parts could be rubbing together. Let us know what u find