Transmission cooler

I know a while back someone on here had mentioned there transmission cooler failed in their rad and caused the milk shake effect in their coolant, what if you eliminated the rad completely and installed an external tranny cooler instead, would this be advisable ? Just looking for input or if someone has done this already.

Funny I just got mine Friday I'm mounting a remote derale transmission cooler on the plate where my spare tire was mounted and running lines to the transmission deleting the stock lines and radiator

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=380665740806&globalID=EBAY-US

I got mine from summit racing but this is the same one 67,000 btu I'm gonna setup the fan on a switch mounted in the cab

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

I know a while back someone on here had mentioned there transmission cooler failed in their rad and caused the milk shake effect in their coolant, what if you eliminated the rad completely and installed an external tranny cooler instead, would this be advisable ? Just looking for input or if someone has done this already.

That was me. Ended up replacing the entire cooling system. Adding a new external cooler is next on the list although my transmission recommended adding a larger capacity plan saying it will give me lower operating temps than a larger cooler will.

Funny I just got mine Friday I'm mounting a remote derale transmission cooler on the plate where my spare tire was mounted and running lines to the transmission deleting the stock lines and radiator

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=380665740806&globalID=EBAY-US

I got mine from summit racing but this is the same one 67,000 btu I'm gonna setup the fan on a switch mounted in the cab

Nice, but why not mount it in the front in front of condenser?

That was me. Ended up replacing the entire cooling system. Adding a new external cooler is next on the list although my transmission recommended adding a larger capacity plan saying it will give me lower operating temps than a larger cooler will.

Are you still getting tranny fluid showing up in the coolant reservoir ? (residual oil) and how's the transmission? I read some people have done this procedure to eliminate the tranny cooler in the rad and adding external cooler with no ill effect.

I had heat issues with my stock trans lines when I installed my ARH LTs that was my main reason to run them to the rear haven't seen a setup like that in these trucks but I seen it in a show on TV where a guy setup a 4l60 and LS motor in a old school hotrod coupe and he used a remote cooler mounted on the frame thought it was a great idea and was the reason I went this route not going into the radiator was also a plus but not the reason OP

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...