Takin off in 2nd gear

A couple days ago I notice my truck was really slow on the take off like it was in second gear. And the truck is starting to shift earlier than it should and takes almost full throttle to kick out of over drive. My trans has also been running about 200 degrees this week but it has also been about 98 here all week. Truck is a 03 silverado ss with 98,000 miles circle d 3200 stall converter and shift kit. Cam and tune. Any ideas? I don't want to go to a trans shop completely clueless

For some reason most of these stories are followed by "I didn't add a aftermarket Trans cooler when I did my stall either and it's so damn hot out where I live you'd think my neighbour is satan." (Maybe you did, not raging on you, it's just that guys seem to cam and stall their trucks and then get all pissy when they get high Trans temps) That's besides the point anyways I suppose, sounds like the Trans might be toast. There's a lot of good Trans guys on this site so I'm sure you'll get the possibilities narrowed down. I'm curious about this one. Any codes thrown? A sticky Trans solenoid would cause the issue you stated, but not the idling (cam lope) issue.

Very first thing I would do is check the fluid level, and check to see if it smells or looks burnt at all. Canadianvrss is right, if you don't already have a trans cooler, you may have gotten lucky for a while. If so you might need a bigger one. 200° is pretty warm for a trans.

I bought the truck with everything done to it and was surprised it didn't have a bigger trans cooler. But my friend who was a mechanic said it should be ok and was until it got hot. We checked the fluid it was at the right level not burnt or any material in it. But had turned clear instead of red. The fluid was bright red when I got it 8 months ago. I was about to do a fluid change at 1000,000 miles but this just started happening

Good luck man! If you don't already have a tru cool 40 K trans. cooler I highly recommend one. You can by pass the factory cooler in the radiator and just run the 40 K. I have one one my tow 2500 and one on my SSS and the temp never goes above 150 degrees. There only around $160 so its a cheap and easy upgrade.

I'm plan to do that soon. And on the way to the trans shop my truck just threw a code for Map sensor and o2 sensor

I'm plan to do that soon. And on the way to the trans shop my truck just threw a code for Map sensor and o2 sensor

• 2 weeks later...

Got the truck back from the trans shop. Said that it's taking off in a lower gear he doesn't really know why and my converter isn't stalling anywhere near 3200 so it may be going out. But he flushed it new fluid and filter that fixes the tranny temp problem. But i could've done that myself. Went without my truck for a week to hear that. ? so I'll be goin somewhere else