Fuel found in engine oil

I needed to reach out to you guys to see if anyone knows how to diagnose a problem I found when changing my oil yesterday. So I go to change my oil yesterday and noticed it smelled like gas pretty bad while draining it. I know the truck is not running rich, so that can't be the problem. I spoke to Zippy and he said it could be the injectors or possibly the fuel regulator, but how do I tell what the culprit is? The other thing it has been doing is after it sits for a while (over night) I have to crank it several times before it fires up. This just started happening since I had the new LPA return style fuel system installed. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks!

I have the same problem oil smells like gas after I race it ,I think with bigger injectors ,fuel lines, pumps and 60lbs fuel pressure it's going to happen that's y my engine builder said change you engine oil every 500 miles so I do no gas smell in oil any more.. [ truck is not a daily driver]

Can you do a fuel pressure prime check... Hook up a fuel pressure gauge tool to the Schrader valve and prime the system by turning on the key to the power position but do not crank... It should hold pressure at your pumps rating... If it holds pressure then there shouldn't be a problem with your fuel system but instead a seal somewhere where it is getting by when it is running... If it begins to drop right away or even after a few minutes you may have a stuck injector or other issues within your fuel system causing the pressure to drop and leaking fuel into your oil and as well making it hard to start due to losing prime... The system holds pressure to allow for easy starts... Another check may be the spark plugs to find out which injector or cylinder is having the leak as to narrow you field of search... But first I would check the fuel pressure at the rails to ensure it is a leak and then do further diagnostics...

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)

I had the same problem, wound up being an injector leaking pressure after the truck was shut off. Oil in my catch can and at oil changes smelled like gas pretty bad and truck was a bit hard to start after sitting for a day or two. Swapped injectors and never had the problem again. I'd definitely do a leak down test first though like 2003_supersport suggested. That should tell you for sure if that's your problem.

Thanks for the link man. :cheers:

Thanks man, great idea! This is getting delivered today http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R5IASC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

so I'll do the pressure test first and see if I can find anything. That is a cool probe, may have to pick one of those up too!

Thanks man, great idea! This is getting delivered today http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R5IASC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

so I'll do the pressure test first and see if I can find anything. That is a cool probe, may have to pick one of those up too!

That pressure gauge will work just fine... You could of probably just went to a local parts store and bought one or sometimes they let you borrow tools for a refundable charge... Regardless it is a nice tool to have anyway and they don't cost that much...

Well, I hooked up the pressure gauge to the Schrader valve last night, turned the key and by the time I got back under the hood to look at the gauge, it was at 45 psi and dropping pretty fast. I then shut off the key and it started dropping even faster...I'm assuming the fuel is probably draining back into the tank from the return line. Tomorrow I'm going to disconnect the braided return line that attaches to the quick disconnect outlet on the rail, hook a plain rubber hose onto it, crimp the other end and then re-do the test. I had family over today and didn't have time to mess with it. ...I'll keep you posted

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)