Vibration while towing

4Runner

So it's been about one year sense I've towed with my SS. I hooked up and loaded my crawler on and it drove great first couple times but now around 50 it starts up. It's not bad. Can manly fill it in the floor. Thanks in advance

How many miles you have? Sort of sounds like a bad u joint or joints.... If it is in fact your u joints you can check by getting underneath and use a pry bar and pull on joints and see if they have excessive play. If they do either buy GM or Spicer u joints. Don't buy cheapo parts store ones. I had a s10 that I used the "best" Napa joints and they were garbage had a worse vibration ended up spending the money and using genuine spicer joints and problem was gone.....

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

I've seen this before. Had a truck I would drive unloaded and itd be fine. Put a trailer on it and itd squat just enough to change the driveline angle and cause a vibration. The difference of the angle of the front and rear u joints should be no more than 1 degree of each other. Anything more will cause a vibration. Like said above, check for worn joints. But if it only happens when the suspension is loaded... Might be worth checking driveline angle. Are you stock ride height or lowered? Might be in need of a shim for the rear drive angle.

I just had safety and IM and the only thing that I had to replace was the front two bearing. The truck has 144000 and its lowered 2 inches. The truck has never done this before and I had the transfercase replaced and when I did I had Chevy do it and I had them do the ujoints. And that was about 1.5 years ago maybe 13000 miles ago

Do you have access to a MTS4000? It's a fantastic diagnostic tool for finding vibrations. It uses engine rpm as a reference point to compare the herts the vibration is occurring at to give you an idea of what it may be. You put a small crystal sensor that pics up vibrations somewhere on the frame. You program the tool with gear ratios, pulley sizes, tire sizes, etc. Then drive it until the vibration occurs. Take a recording and it'll tell you the herts of the vibration. There's a lot of math that goes into it to figure it out on paper, but the MTS4000 calculates the algorithm for you and essentially tells you what's causing the vibration. A alternator pulley, a driveline, a misfire, tires, etc. It's pretty sweet. I use it at the dealership when I get really stumped.