Transfer leaking

So when I got back from deployment I had to replace the chain in my transfer case, I also replaced the output shaft bearing and seal because of a vibration. About two weeks ago I towed a living room set home on a car hauler and noticed my furniture was covered in trans fluid. Got under it and it's coming from the transfer. Pulled the transfer yesterday and noticed the majority of the fluid is coming from the breather tube? It wasn't overfilled because I checked the level before I drained it and the fluid looked fine. When I seperated it I noticed the pickup screen was damaged slightly like it was rubbing on a gear and one of the little metal clips that go around the pump was on the magnet and the pump has a little bit more movement than it did before. Dont think its a big deal and am gonna order a rebuild kit but am wondering if maybe it's the pump going out cause there shouldn't be any pressure in the case at all right? Wondering what y'all's thoughts are and if anyone knows the part number for the screen cause I can't find it. Thanks fellas, just tired of pulling this thing out and wish I could afford a new unit but have a baby on the way in three months so gotta focus money elsewhere.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you leaking t case fluid (blue) or atf (red). There is a seal between the trans and t case. If your t case is over filling your trans output seal is bad. The trans is under pressure and so it "pumps" into the t case. I had that problem on one of my my s blazer flips I did. Very common problem on gm trucks.

Are you leaking t case fluid (blue) or atf (red). There is a seal between the trans and t case. If your t case is over filling your trans output seal is bad. The trans is under pressure and so it "pumps" into the t case. I had that problem on one of my my s blazer flips I did. Very common problem on gm trucks.

That's a good tip, right there, whether it's Doughty's problem or not.

That is a good tip. I use dex3 in the case so I couldn't tell by that but when I seperated it from the adapter I did notice a lot of fluid in the adapter and that would make since cause the trans was under load pullin the extra weight. I'll crawl under the truck and have a look today. Thanks for the tip brother, def helped out big time.

Def was the trans seal, also found a pin hole in the transfer so jb welded it up and ordered the case saver and a new chain. Gonna go up to the chevy house and pick up a couple of courts of fluid and a few other parts so hopefully this is the last time for a while I have this thing out. Thanks again for the tip man.

Def was the trans seal, also found a pin hole in the transfer so jb welded it up and ordered the case saver and a new chain. Gonna go up to the chevy house and pick up a couple of courts of fluid and a few other parts so hopefully this is the last time for a while I have this thing out. Thanks again for the tip man.

Your Welcome...I am getting rusty but haven't forgotten everything yet... :cool:

Just left the chevy house and they said there no output shaft seal on our transmissions. Has anyone replaced one and if so can they point me in the direction to getting one and do I have to pull the transmission apart to do so? Thanks fellas

Just left the chevy house and they said there no output shaft seal on our transmissions. Has anyone replaced one and if so can they point me in the direction to getting one and do I have to pull the transmission apart to do so? Thanks fellas

I am not doubting you, but it seems unlikely to me, that there is no seal at the output shaft. I have been wrong before, though.

There's a rubber gasket kinda like a square o-ring between the trans and transfer I think that was what EXGM was talking about but I could be wrong I didn't build the trans or transfer but that seal was in between the two when it was put together

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

There's a rubber gasket kinda like a square o-ring between the trans and transfer I think that was what EXGM was talking about but I could be wrong I didn't build the trans or transfer but that seal was in between the two when it was put together

Does that gasket look like it would stop pressurized fluid? Just seems to me that a tight fitting seal around the shaft has to be there somewhere. I haven't taken these units apart just curious.

I'm with yall there has to be a seal of something but I couldn't find it on the diagram the guy had so I just bought the $50 input seal for the transfer but I don't think that's the issue looking at how the fluid is coming off the trans shaft. Tomorrow I'm gonna start it and let it warm up and check the level and maybe I can actually see if it drips from there or not. If it does I wouldn't mind if u sent me that setup cause geeezzz that's nice.

LoL that was from tax return February 2013

Last years tax return got me a snowmobile trip and a Vortech modified head unit good for 15psi on a stock block and engine bracket to mount it still in the box with many other pieces that I've gathered over the past year hopefully this snow will disappear so I can get to work and start boosting

Maybe now that I have a baby on the way I'll get back a little more than just a grand a year and be able to pick myself up something like that. But I guess I should be happy I get anything back really. I appreciate the input on here, tryin to get it back on the road cause I'm buying a lot of stuff right now and can hardly haul it in the wife's suv.