Purchased 03 Silverado SS AWD...did I get ripped off?

bigcountrypoppen

New to this site, looks like a great owners forum and already used some feedback to purchase new shocks for my ride...now for the business

Gave 15k for an 03' SS

93k miles

Silverline exhaust

24" KMC SLIDES ON 305/35/24 nitto 420s (about 1k on them. NADA was 13,500 retail but the wheels and tires and exhaust was stuff I would end up buying anyway so I didn't mind giving up a little extra (he was asking 18,500). What if any are the common issues with these trucks coming up on 100k miles. What should I replace as a preventative measure before failure. Just ordered a set of bell tech street shocks. No CEL or clunking noises so far in the steering, trans shifts smooth, interior is immaculate. Truck is gonna be a daily driver and I'm in the military so with being deployed I don't put a lot of miles on my vehicles. Also have a 2013 camaro SS w/1LE pkg. love my bow ties, must of got it from my dad, he was a Chevy guy.

Thanks for your time and help.

First off, welcome to the forum. JC03ss nailed it. It's only worth what someone will pay. If the truck is as clean as you say and no major issues, sounds like you got a fair deal. There is a lot of good info on this site. Be prepared to read a lot. The only thing I would say in my opinion as far as weak link on these trucks is the transmission. Even with slight upgrades they can go out, but it also depends a lot on how you drive it too. Also, thanks for helping protect our country. There are those of us that do appreciate it

Welcome to the site! Probably an "average" deal IMO, mileage is a little on the high side for something I personally would have purchased, but the truck is 12 yrs. old too. As long as you're happy with the truck, it was a good deal! The SSS in an amazing truck - the best truck ever made, so I would feel lucky to own one. Congrats buddy!

Welcome to the site Wayne. :cheers:

I think that you got a fair deal. It's about where I value my truck with about the same mileage. The $18,500 he was asking was too high.

You can't ever count on getting mod dollars out of a vehicle at resale time, but like you say it is stuff you would be buying anyway so it has some value to you as the buyer.

These trucks are like the old saying about buying land; "They ain't making anymore" of them so they are getting more valuable, at least if they are in fair shape.

I wouldn't stress over the price just go about making it your own.

At 100k I would at a minimum replace plugs and wires. I would start by checking all fluids unless you have service records. Coolant should have been changed once. Watch your t case and diffs.... Your basic maintenance stuff. Oil cooler lines leak but I have not seen a GM truck they don't leak on.... Otherwise pretty bullit proof trucks. Which is why I bought one.....

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

At 100k I would at a minimum replace plugs and wires. I would start by checking all fluids unless you have service records. Coolant should have been changed once. Watch your t case and diffs.... Your basic maintenance stuff. Oil cooler lines leak but I have not seen a GM truck they don't leak on.... Otherwise pretty bullit proof trucks. Which is why I bought one.....

This

I agree you pay whatever when its something you want, as far as you can afford it.

I payed 12k for my 04, with 108k miles. It was more than I anticipated paying for a used vehicle, but I haven't looked back ever since, I love my truck

Finally got a pic of the truck, i'll put another couple up here to go along with it. I'm debating on keeping the 24s or dropping down to 20s. I like the look of the 24s but the ride quality is quite bad, and the roads here in southern GA are in pretty good shape so if I was up north it would be even worse. Thinking of going with a set of black Texas Edition Silverado wheels with a 285/55r20 setup. Figured it's only about an inch shorter in overall tire diameter but I get about 2 extra inches of sidewall which should smooth out the ride. I must be getting old when I choose functionality over style, lol.

Cheers :cheers:

post-27029-0-16778400-1424140809_thumb.jpg